Talk

Advanced search

Conkers in Leicestershire - definitely recommend it!

(10 Posts)
Hulababy Thu 24-Jul-08 17:28:36

Conkers

DH and I went yesterday with 6yo DD. It was fantastic and defnitely worth a visit.

DD spent the whole day climbing, running, exploring and just having a fab time outside. We walked miles in the end I think! There is just so much to do.

Next time we will take a picnic too as there were some lovely places to eat picnics. However, the lakeside restaurant was pretty nice too, and the setting wonderful.

Just wanted to put in a recommendation for it. A really good day out!

QueenEagle Thu 24-Jul-08 17:45:58

I second it. It really is one of the best days out you can have with your kids. I last took my lot in the Easter hols where me, sil and her new fella had probably more fun than the kids playing hide and seek in the indoor play area!

TwoToTango Thu 24-Jul-08 18:58:41

I planned on taking DS there this hols so thats really helpful.

Silly question I know but what type of shoes did you wear? do you need to wear trainers - I know DS would but would I miss out on loads of fun if I wore sandals?

Hulababy Thu 24-Jul-08 22:05:35

I have a long dress and sandals on and was fine, although granted I didn't go up the assault course.

DD and DH had trainers on.

If wet weather on the day or leading up to it I would assume it could get quite muddy - so bear that in mind too.

DontNeedAnything Thu 24-Jul-08 22:08:22

I went on a school trip (as a parent helper). We didn't get much beyond the indoors play area, walking around hte nearest lake and riding back on the train. Is there really that mush more beyond that????

Hulababy Thu 24-Jul-08 22:19:17

Lots - we spent nearly 6 hours there and didn't get bored once, and we didn't do any of the organised craft or ranger activities, nor did we watch the show in the ampitheatre. And we only went in the indoor bit right near the end - had forgotten about it and ran out of time. We also didnt get chance to play in the water fun area either.

What dd we do?

Assualt course (activity trail) - this took a while

Lots of different nature/woodland/forest garden/etc. trails - these all seem to have extra bits in them such as sensory or auditory activities

Little maze

Made shelters and pretend campfires in a clearing where all the right types of branches has been left lying around

Walk in the treetop canopy

Ride on the train

Lunch at the restaurant by the lake

Playtime in the adventure playground

Climb up the look out tower

Had an ice cream and sat for a while

Look for hides, etc. in the trees

Made scupltures in the sculpture trail section

Climb trees

Just loads of walking, running, playing and climbing really

SueW Thu 24-Jul-08 22:50:17

I don't think there is enough shade, tbh. I went as parent helper on a school trip when DD was Y3. We did a treasure hunt, the kids tore round and as it was a very hot day, they needed lots and lots to drink which wasn't as easy as it could have been to get drinks for them.

It's a couple of years since I've been though, and I'd been several times before the school trip (DD now 11yo) and I've never managed to be there on a day when all the interactive stuff in the 'museum' part is working.

I think it has enormous potential as trees get bigger and landscape looks less moon-like.

Hulababy Fri 25-Jul-08 09:36:05

Lots of shade in the woodland walk parts, including little clearings with picnc benches. And some of the icnic tables have parasols too, such as near the playground and the station.

We only spent a small period of time in the indoor part of the place as the weather was so lovely outside. Of what we did see the interactive parts were working on Wednesday AFAIK. TBH though DD was too busy running about playing so didn't see so much of that.

Hulababy Fri 25-Jul-08 09:37:43

But yes, not many water/drink stands once you are in the middle of the trails - but TBh we never really seemed to be more than 10/15 mins from the main buildings, even when on the edges of the nature trails. We just had lots of bottles of water, which we bought whenever we passed.

TwoToTango Fri 25-Jul-08 13:31:28

thanks for all that Hulababy - I can't wait to go now.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now