Talk

Advanced search

any dinosaur type places to go apart from nat history museum

(11 Posts)
Theresa Sat 19-Jul-08 18:08:45

My 6 year old is sooo into dinosaurs at the moment. We are in Newcastle and cant really stretch to a trip to london, anyone know of anything else on that sort of theme?

Blu Sat 19-Jul-08 18:21:52

I am sure there are some good fossil-hunting beaches in the NE, if that would be of interest?

My dinosaur-mad 6 year-old really enjoyed fossil-hunting - and we found part of an icthyosaur vertebrae.

Google fossil-hiunting - there is a site which shows you all the best places, and what to look for.

LucyJones Sat 19-Jul-08 18:23:34

Newcastle's Centre Of life

EffiePerine Sat 19-Jul-08 18:23:56

Robin Hood's Bay is supposed to be v good for fossils, I seem to remember

Blu Sat 19-Jul-08 18:32:14

yes - somewhere near Edinburgh and N Yorks might be your nearest fossil places, according to a quick search. Though others will be more knowledgable than me.

n5rje Sat 19-Jul-08 19:40:21

If you can get to Edinburgh you could try Dynamic Earth - its not just dinosaurs but does have some and loads of other stuff as well.

Theresa Sun 20-Jul-08 20:19:48

thanks all

Leicester has a big museum in the city centre that is free to get into and really fab - has lots of fossil stuff, dinosaur skeletons, lots of other displays. Can't rememebr the name of the museum but I'm sure you could find it via google. If you stayed for a weekend you could go to the space centre place as well which is also great.

TotalChaos Mon 21-Jul-08 10:15:33

Grimsby apparently has a Harry and the Dinosaurs dinosaur attraction.

TotalChaos Mon 21-Jul-08 10:16:20

ooops sorry - it's a theatre show, not an attraction in grimsby!!!!

Marina Mon 21-Jul-08 10:26:43

Isn't Whitby good for fossils?
Also, is there anything at that Rheged Centre in the Lakes (near Penrith I think, so not far off the A1)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now