Talk

Advanced search

Le Gavroche for anniversary lunch?

(11 Posts)
FeelingDeviant Thu 17-Jul-08 14:44:30

We love the sample menu on their website but wondered if it's really snooty and poncy.
We want somewhere with similar atmosphere to Rick Stein's restaurant in Cornwall (the actual restaurant not spin-off cafe), and not like Le Manoir in Oxfordshire.

talilac Fri 18-Jul-08 11:33:24

Didn't like it myself. Yes snooty (although not in a horrible way) but also very French so quite hard on the stomach.

Have you thought about J Sheeky if you are looking for a fish restaurant? Or if its the vibe of Rick Stein, ie modern classy with good food, but not up its arse, how about the Cafe Anglais? I loved the food and the atmosphere. Or one of the Galvin brothers places? I've only tried the Bistro but it was fab despite the um, interesting service. Or Hibiscus? haven't tried it yet but I want to!

LadyThompson Fri 18-Jul-08 11:45:20

Hmm, well I'd avoid Mirabelle, the service is too fussy and it drives you mad. I would go to Heston Blumenthals' Fat Duck. It's in Bray, Berkshire, so close-ish to Reading. And have the tasting menu as it's really interesting and will be something to remember, and the staff are nice and not patronising. Book lunch in advance though...

babyOcho Fri 18-Jul-08 11:57:43

I had the beef from them when I went to the Taste of London last year and it was pretty spectacular. My mouth is watering just thinking about it!

Not been to the restaurant itself, but from what I hear its proper old school stuff - you're guided to the toilets so your path doesnt cross with other people, the ladies get a menu with no prices.

talilac Fri 18-Jul-08 12:06:18

Oh I'd forgotten about the menu with no prices!

I always wonder how they'd deal with a female only table.

FeelingDeviant Fri 18-Jul-08 18:28:36

talilac what do you mean snooty but not in a horrible way?
We love hard on teh stomach French (Dh is half french). And don't mind menu with no prices - think it's old fashioned quaint.
What we really want to avoid is fussy service and like you say, "up it's own arse" type service.

Been to Sheeky's and didn't mind the service there, but thought their decor was a bit stuffy and thought food wasn't great (but we had just returned from a French coastal holiday).
Is Le Gavroche like Sheeky's?

Would love to go to Fat Duck but need to go to somewhere in London as will need to pick up DD from nursery after lunch.

TheMagnificent7 Fri 18-Jul-08 18:44:08

Le Gashrot is one of the most dreadful restaurants I've ever been to. Very average food, poor service, stank of stale lillies. It ruined an anniversary. So far up it's own arse that I wouldn't eat there for free.

And I've been to a lot of restaurants. Hated it.

Love Hush!, upstairs. Axis has just been refitted. Asia de Cuba is not as intimate but loved the food. Heard that J Sheeky's is fantastic.

Pennies Fri 18-Jul-08 18:49:33

Avoid it like the plague!

Totally up it's own arse, stuck in the dark ages (we were the youngest table there and we were all mid-late 30s). I reckon Cod could not ever find a thing on this planet to top its ponciness.

Hideous decor (unless dark blue tartan wallpaper is really your thing.

Try Maze (Ramsay's restaurant in Grosvenor Square). Relaxed open atmosphere with fabulous food and very slick service. Not poncey at all.

talilac Fri 18-Jul-08 21:22:30

Snooty in a fussing over you way rather than a supercillious "too good for the likes of you" way is what I meant. So if you don't like fuss, well you wouldn't like it!

Myself, I don't mind a bit of fuss in the right circs. But I just didn't really enjoy my food tbh.

I loved Cafe Anglais. They had this tapas-y style starters menu, where you order a couple apiece and share. Super delicious. Mains good too, although not as supremely lovely.

bamboostalks Sat 19-Jul-08 12:00:59

I really liked Gavroche and had an amazing meal there and found the staff very nice. Super on anniversaries etc. really make a fuss.

jicky Sat 19-Jul-08 12:35:45

I really like the Gavroche, had great meals and service on the couple times I have been.

Rick Steins I thought the food was great but the service pretty casual - to the point of not being very good.

The service at Gavroche is so good that it just kind of happens without you noticing, never felt any snooty fussing.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now