Talk

Advanced search

Restaurants like St John's in London

(11 Posts)
FeelingDeviant Wed 16-Jul-08 21:49:03

As early anniversary celebrations, Dh and I had been planning to have lunch at St John's (I love offal). However, it;s closed and because we'd been so set on going there having difficulty racking our brains as to where else we could go.

We usually go somewhere ultra special for anniversary like Ivy, Sheeky's, Le Manoir, etc.
Don't mind pricey, but not really want anywhere too fancy.
Any suggestions?

Onlyaphase Wed 16-Jul-08 21:50:43

Sweetings?
Rules?

EffiePerine Wed 16-Jul-08 21:52:17

Simpsons? Good for traditional English food (I love their breakfasts)

mrschop Wed 16-Jul-08 21:52:34

The Bleeding Heart restaurant. Lovely, lovely food and atmosphere, great wine list. Not a bit showy.

Bink Wed 16-Jul-08 21:57:28

You should just go round the corner to the various versions of Gascon (Club Gascon, etc.) - serious but not really "fancy" (food is the star, not the cutlery) and there's bound to be some gizzards or andouillettes or something equally viscerally shock in there

FeelingDeviant Thu 17-Jul-08 09:41:21

Thanks for the recommendations. We googled around last night and I fell in love with sample menu at Le Gavroche. Has anyone been? And is it really fancy/poncy?
We'll be going for lunch.

Lola234 Fri 18-Jul-08 12:16:12

langtons in picadilly circus is similar. better though!

FeelingDeviant Fri 18-Jul-08 19:36:47

OnlyaPhase - I've been a bit of a durrrr brain and only just understood that you were posting names of restaurants! Thanks very much.

Lola - couldn't find Langtons via google ...

Blu Fri 18-Jul-08 19:40:26

Yes, Club Gascon is fab - I have been in the bar bit rather than the full on restaurant - very good food

Is it the Anchor and Hope in the Cut at Waterloo? Reputed to have excellent coooking and uses a lot of noses, tails and inbetweens.

luckywinner Fri 18-Jul-08 19:45:14

Do you like thai food? Nahm in Halkin hotel is vv nice and quite swanky but small. nahm

lilyfire Fri 25-Jul-08 22:17:48

You could try Hereford Road. The head chef used to be at St John's and it's got great reviews - not been open that long. Thomas Keller (is that right name?) from the French Laundry named it as one of his favourite restaurants in London. It's pretty offaly.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now