Talk

Advanced search

Child friendly Manchester?

(16 Posts)
marmitemad Wed 09-Jul-08 22:04:26

I need some ideas please on how to entertain a spirited and lively 16 month old for a full day on my own in Manchester (we are stopping off on a longer journey so dh can visit a customer).

I would love to spend all day shopping and going round the museums but that's not going to go down well with dd sadly.

I will have a car so can travel around easily.

thanks

TotalChaos Wed 09-Jul-08 22:05:27

Heaton Park - great big park with farm and duck pond and playground

Museum of Science and Industry - has a pre-schoolers section on the top floor with suitable stuff for toddlers to play with

Hamleys toy shop may or may not appeal

Flibbertyjibbet Wed 09-Jul-08 22:15:20

Wythenshawe park has a farm which our kiddies love when we go to visit sil.
Not very central for you though.

second Museum of Science and Industry. Or the disney/warner bros stores in the shopping area if you get desperate!

WilfSell Wed 09-Jul-08 22:28:57

Are you coming from the South? If so, stop at Tatton Park on your way in - just off A556 from the M6... There's a good play area, farm and if you go in the ornamental gardens, a maze. Nice cafe etc etc.

Then head straight for S&I museum as everyone says - lots of things to do, you'll easily spend hours legging it around after them.

Then go to Urbis but don't spend too long there (is shite!) but spend hours mucking about outside in the square, paddling in the rill if it's still there, and finding little brass animals. Go and gawp at the big windmills outside Selfridges and if it's nap in pushchair time, ideal shopping moment. Walk to Victoria Station, and just for the hell of it, get on a tram. Go to Salford Quays. Visit Lowry Centre and do more running around (especially inside the purple and orange corridors) but also get to see some art if time.

Then cross bridge many times and if feeling brave, go to War Museum North.

I have many many more ideas but this should keep you going for a bit...

PInkyminkyohnooo Wed 09-Jul-08 23:07:35

science and industry museum is good, has an activity floor and a little steam train.

Lauren Child exhibiton on at the city gallery- lots of dressing up etc. great fun.

Manchester museum is actually a good visit, there is a whole floor for you to picnic, do colouring in etc., with nice books and comfy sofas.

Tatton or Dunham Massey are good National Trust places nearby. Depends where you are coming from.

There is a good soft play centre in Chorlton

Have to say, Wythenshawe park farm was a bit grim last time I went- I complained to the council about it.

PInkyminkyohnooo Wed 09-Jul-08 23:10:46

Going on the tram to the Lowry is a fun trip. Most children mainly like going up and down the giant escalator and the glass lift!

gigglewitch Wed 09-Jul-08 23:15:24

also wandered in to say go to the Sci and industry museum, and the Charlie and Lola exhibition at the art gallery grin
But everyone else got there first grin

Would suggest having a word with the [very] local mners to find out where to park the car, because all the city centre carparks seem to be v.expensive IMO - and go in to the city by tram - the DC love it and it gets you everywhere you want to be quite efficiently. we tend to park at Altrincham for free and jump on the tram there, but obv it depends where you are coming from.

gigglewitch Wed 09-Jul-08 23:16:18

good idea pinky. And lowry = outlet shopping grin

WendyWeber Wed 09-Jul-08 23:23:10

Have a look at Family Friendly Manchester - I put in age 1-2 so I hope some of what came up is helpful smile

PInkyminkyohnooo Wed 09-Jul-08 23:24:53

I think that's a really good suggestion- Sale/Altrincham tram link is very good. I really hope we get our tram link soon, much quicker than the bus! Science and Industry parking £5 which is probably the cheapest city centre- but not actually all that central, very near the gmex tram station, though.

gigglewitch Wed 09-Jul-08 23:40:24

what area are you in, pinky <nosey> wink
vague as you like, just wondered about the tram linkS!!stockport-ish?

PInkyminkyohnooo Wed 09-Jul-08 23:54:17

lol yes ours would be the Stockport line, if we ever get it.

cornsilk Wed 09-Jul-08 23:55:56

We prefer Manchester Museum to Museum of Science and Industry.
Trams can be a bit dodgy IMO- smelly and full of canoodling teenagers and winos.

PInkyminkyohnooo Thu 10-Jul-08 09:35:10

sounds lovely! We only really go on a sunday, so maybe different clientelle than in the week?!grin

marmitemad Thu 10-Jul-08 19:27:44

thanks for all the advice, I would love to go to the Lowry but wasn't sure how child friendly it would be.
off to check out some of the links now.....

WendyWeber Thu 10-Jul-08 21:15:25

The Lowry is very family-friendly smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now