Talk

Advanced search

People who know London well please....

(16 Posts)
jenpet Fri 27-Jun-08 09:38:11

..can you help me with suggestions as to what to do with my 6 year old DS and his heavily pregnant mum! Have done the museums recently - would prefer free or not very expensive things if poss. He's into almost everything (we live in France & he's just excited to be "doing" London again) but I owuld prefer things where I can sit down for a bit!! Thanks...

MummyDoIt Fri 27-Jun-08 09:45:51

Boat trip down the Thames. You can get them from the Embankment (near the Houses of Parliament) and go to various places - Tower of London, Greenwich, Thames Barrier. I'm not sure of the current prices as it's a while since I've done one but I don't think they're hugely expensive. You get to see a lot of the sights on the way (they do a commentary) and you'll get to sit down.

Combine it with a trip on the London Eye. That's just on the other side of the river from the boat landing. There are seats in the pods so you'll be able to sit down.

An open top bus tour is another good sit-down choice. You can pick them up all over, near any attraction/landmark. You can buy tickets that allow you to hop on and hop off all day as you please so combine that with a picnic in one of the parks where your DS can play while you sit and rest.

Hope that helps!

jenpet Fri 27-Jun-08 09:48:29

Perfect MummyDoIt! Will google the boat trips now. Thanks again

MummyDoIt Fri 27-Jun-08 09:51:33

Have a good time!

gillybean2 Fri 27-Jun-08 09:53:56

London eye. Not cheap but definitely sit down!

If you want cheap I always find the area around St Catherine's dock near the tower of london/tower bridge is a great place to explore for free. Lots of boats to see up close, ducks to feed, walking along the river front, the locks to cross over that leads out into the thames and little crossings over different parts of the water. Lots to talk about and for your child to learn without realising they're learning. They also have giant stones which the children can climb on as they walk around. There's also one wall completely covered in modern art which we talked about for ages looking at the colours and shapes and deciding which bit of the mural we liked best. Plenty of benches for your partner to sit on while you do a circuit or two of the dock or to take a rest while you check out something.

Also have cafes etc there so you don't have to take a packed lunch and endless drinks(unless you want to keep costs down).

You can jump on the ferry boat there too and take a ride a couple of stops along and then walk back perhaps.

Just a short walk to the tower too. You don't have to go in to talk about the castle and you can walk right around it. My son (when aged 7) got a lot of pleasure simply chasing the pigeons and jumping up and down the steps in the pedestrian area in front of the tower. Plenty of places to sit there too so your partner can wait for you to get back to her.

Lots of little side things to explore and then come back too. For example there's a very small park (garden type) near there which you can detour through as you go around the castle walls. Also in one part you can see where they've excavated some of the ruined part.

A very nice way to spend a dry day. We went in january last time, cold, not so busy but still lots of fun.

Gilly

bouncingblueberries Fri 27-Jun-08 09:55:43

Instead of going for the more expensive organised boat trips, try the Thames Clipper boats. They're meant to be used as commuter boats(run by trnasport for London), but we jumped on one by the London Eye on Wednesday and went all the way down to the O2 arena. You get a discount if you have a travel card or an oystercard, there's always plenty of seats and you can sit either inside or out. No annoying commentary either (unless you want that sort of thing). My 2 year old ds and 55 year old dad loved it and it cost all 3 of us less than a tenner for return tickets.

bargain! and I got to snooze most of the way there and back and let grandad take over!

laundrylover Fri 27-Jun-08 09:56:25

We went to Kew gardens last week and the kids loved it - not sure you could waddle up the treetp walkway thoughgrin. He can run riot and you can sit and look at the trees. There is a good indoor play area there now too.

Fountain in Hyde Park was popular and there is a couple of good playgrounds there too - all free.

HTH

Marina Fri 27-Jun-08 10:13:04

and a Greenwich Eye opens today Jenpet. So you could do a "one at each end" double, that'll make him the talk of the Maternelle...

The Duck Tours (amphibious craft, they start out from right by County Hall and the Eye) are always a huge hit with children your ds' age, but I suspect they are not quite as comfortable for a pregnant woman...

jenpet Fri 27-Jun-08 10:25:39

Wow! Glad I asked! I looked at the duck tours Marina - he would love them for sure, but I'm not sure I would right now - and they are very expensive too...boat trip & tower are certainly on though...getting excited now! Thanks again everyone.

Lola234 Mon 14-Jul-08 13:14:00

Message deleted

FabioTheLiterateCat Mon 14-Jul-08 13:16:47

Second Duck Tours, but could be a bit bumpy for the heavily pg

Princess Diana playground in Kensington Gardens? You can sit down while he explores the pirate ship.

Marina Mon 14-Jul-08 13:17:49

Ship is being repaired at the mo and possibly not available

Kewcumber Mon 14-Jul-08 13:18:00

I you are around Friday- Sun I can get you into KEw Gardens free on my season tocket.

FabioTheLiterateCat Mon 14-Jul-08 13:23:20

You can take a bus tour of London - you'd need to work out which buses go where and get a daily bus pass.

plot a route here

YOu could go past Buck House etc.

Walk (slowly) along South Bank to/from Tower Bridge.

BirdyArms Mon 14-Jul-08 13:27:23

Get the boat to Grreenwich and go to the Maritime Museum. Greenwich Park is nice with a good cafe. There's a playground at the bottom near the maritime museum but the cafe is a bit of a hike up a hill.

Coram's Fields near Russell Square tube is nice - a field with playground round the edge and some animals. He might be getting a bit old for it though. Nice cafe.

Kewcumber Mon 14-Jul-08 14:29:51

corams fields

childhood museam

Golden HInde

kids love london site

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now