Talk

Advanced search

Newquay Cornwall

(14 Posts)
NannyDonna Wed 21-May-08 11:53:25

I am going to Newquay for a week end of july with my son 5 and husband.
i have found some places but would like to see what people think of them so we can plan the week.
Lappa Valley steam railway
Poldark mine
Miniatura park
thanks for any help.

AbbeyA Wed 21-May-08 11:58:44

There is a zoo at Newquay this page
Further away but well worth a visit is the Seal Sanctuary at Gweek. this page
If the weather is good you won't need to stir far from the beach.

BeauLocks Wed 21-May-08 11:59:51

Lappa Valley is great - definitely worth a visit. Steam trains and loads to do.

dramaqueen Wed 21-May-08 12:35:03

Lappa Valley is fab. There is a lovely cafe there and loads of places to picnic. The other place my dc like is Dairyland. It's a farm mixed with great play equipment. There is loads to do there and your ds is just the right age.

wobblyknicks Wed 21-May-08 12:39:02

Newquay zoo and the seal sanctuary are good (although, be warned there isn't a heck of a lot to 'do' at the seal sanctuary once you've seen the seals and the small play area). The aquarium in Newquay is pretty good too.

I'd avoid Miniatura Park like the plague, unless you happen to like weird tat. All it is is badly made models and....not too much else.

wobblyknicks Wed 21-May-08 12:43:51

Also, the second you go anywhere near a shop/newsagents, buy a West Briton, usually has discount vouchers for attractions in the area - although it comes out on a Thursday and most of the vouchers last a week so careful if you arrive on Wednesday!

Surfermum Wed 21-May-08 12:50:06

We enjoyed Lappa Valley and Crealy. But if the weather's nice (in fact even if it isn't) we go to the beach. There are lots of lovely beaches round there. Crantock is great, we enjoy rock pooling at Porth and Whipsiderry is good too but 300 steps down to it.

We always go to the Cider Farm as well, and it's free just go in an see the animals and visit the shop (free tastings!). They do nice ice creams too.

jicky Wed 21-May-08 13:09:00

Cycling on the camel trail is fun - you can hire tag along bikes which should be fine for a 5 year old. Then stop in Padstow for fish and chips. Mine always like Lappa Valley and there is go carting in St Endoc.

katebee Thu 22-May-08 18:03:04

Highly recommend Lappa Valley....we've been there at least 3 times and never tire of it.

We also drove to the Eden project from Newquay area....had a good den building section last year which my 5 yr old liked.

Dairyland has a good indoor play area if you have a rainy day.

NannyDonna Sat 24-May-08 07:38:35

Thanks for all your great advice.
We are travling from Surrey which is 5hours away,is there any place we could stop on the way just for a couple of hours.
Any Family Restaurants that you would recommend.
sorry for all the questions.
Thanks again.

childfriendly123 Fri 30-May-08 17:55:12

Message deleted

Ellbell Fri 30-May-08 18:10:57

Are you doing M4/M5? Taunton Deane is one of the better service stations (it has a play area!).

If you want somewhere off the motorway to stop you could do the A303 instead and stop at Stonehenge.

spudmasher Fri 30-May-08 18:18:02

Springfield Pony Centre is great. It looks awful when you first get there but has great little pony rides and super close up encounters with animals. Do not miss feeding the lambs.Buy the Cornish Guardian for money off vouchers.

NannyDonna Thu 10-Jul-08 11:46:37

We are going next Sunday and the weather forcast is awful!!!!!
Any tips on all weather places please.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now