Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Lunch venue in London for 60th birthday family lunch.

(14 Posts)
Maudy Fri 14-Jan-05 16:06:30

We are hoping to take my mum out for a family lunch for her 60th birthday which is in 2 weeks. We have been very tardy in organisig it, thinking we were going to do a surprise party but she has scuppered our plans. Anyway, can anyone think of a good place for about 15 people including lots of kids aged between 1 and 10. Somewhere nice, poshish but kid friendly and not a chain place (don't want much do i?). I'm a bit out of touch with London eateries having moved a couple of years ago so any help is greatly received.

Thanks is advance.

Hausfrau Fri 14-Jan-05 16:08:59

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

catgirl Fri 14-Jan-05 16:28:18

People's Palace in the Royal Festival Hall - great views over the river, good food and service is (usually) spot on.

catgirl Fri 14-Jan-05 16:37:59

meant to add that, in case you haven't been to London in a while, that South Bank is great to wonder around now, near London Eye etc, new bridge open from the Embankment

binkie Fri 14-Jan-05 16:39:13

Is Blue Kangaroo in Chelsea posh enough? - supposed to be fantastic for children (soft play in basement) but also good food for grownups. (Haven't been there myself but have heard good reports.)

If I were in your place I'd be looking for something that had distractions either onsite like BK or v close by. Isn't there something nice in St. James' Park now? Or what about one of those canal boat + lunch trips?

RudyDudy Fri 14-Jan-05 16:43:24

It's the Inn the Park at St James' Park and is really lovely - great food, fab service, very relaxed and mega child friendly. I went to a birthday lunch there in the summer - 8 of us and 4 babies / toddlers and nothing was too much trouble. Also very nice building and lovely views over the lake. innthepark

CountessDracula Fri 14-Jan-05 17:08:16

Oh god no Blue Kangaroo is hell on earth! Binkie it really is awful, the noise levels have to be heard to be believed and it is always a total mess!

Do you need it to be in central london?

The Phoenix Bar & Grill in Putney is great, you could have a whole area to yourselves (we did this for dd's non-christening) Food good too and they are v child friendly. We organised our own menu etc and it wasn't too spenny

binkie Fri 14-Jan-05 17:16:36

OOPS well now we know! Thanks!

RD, Inn the Park looks gorgeous. I need an excuse for a party now.

franch Fri 14-Jan-05 17:19:28

Maybe a bit too posh, but we had DH's birthday lunch at the Mandarin Oriental when DD was about 2 months old - it was a weekday and very quiet - DD screamed all the way through the meal and they couldn't have been nicer! The restaurant's called Foliage - it overlooks Hyde Park and is stunning.

PuffTheMagicDragon Fri 14-Jan-05 17:22:50

Some suggestions here

I've been to Smollensky's - not posh as such, but great for kids (entertainer and bar area was sectioned off for trikes etc when we went). The food and cocktails were great.

A friend had a big family do at The Blue Elephant with lots of children in tow and said it was marvellous.

Maudy Fri 14-Jan-05 20:04:05

Thanks for all your ideas. I think the Blue Elephant would be good fun and Inn the Park looks lovely. Its making me really hungry looking at all the menus!

More ideas welcome.

HeyEnidYouveLostWeight Tue 25-Jan-05 18:31:25

where did you decide in the end

bluesky Tue 25-Jan-05 19:30:49

Dont know if I'm too late, but we took m-in-law for family meal to Blue Elephant and it was fantastic.

bluesky Tue 25-Jan-05 19:31:14

meant to say it was her 60th too

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now