Talk

Advanced search

Is London Zoo worth it?

(16 Posts)
Katymac Sat 22-Sep-07 20:11:54

Is it very expensive?

Is there anywhere to leave luggage while we wander round?

Is the food there crap & expensive or just expensive?

TIA

geogteach Sat 22-Sep-07 22:02:32

You can get cheaper tickets if you go on the train and show your ticket. Not sure about your other questions, we took food with us.

Katymac Sat 22-Sep-07 22:11:16

Oh - we are going by train

Thanks for that

artichokes Sat 22-Sep-07 22:20:18

Food is not as crap as you might fear. Not gourmet but OK. There are healthy choices for kids and pretty decent canteen style offerings for adults.

Katymac Sat 22-Sep-07 22:22:10

That's useful too - we are going down the day before so can't take a packed lunch (relief tomorrow is packed breakfast/lunch/tea......glad of no more grin

I think you can sometimes get deals on Lastminute.com

I wasn't very impressed last time I went and won't be going back.

Katymac Mon 24-Sep-07 07:26:35

Oh DD (9) has specifically asked to go

Hmm - what should I do....I hate making decisions

charliecat Mon 24-Sep-07 07:38:29

www.daysoutguide.co.uk for the 2 for 1 train thing

mandymac Mon 24-Sep-07 07:39:42

We went recently with DD who is 2. She loved it although a lot of the 'educational' bits of course went over her head, but your DS would get them.
Apparently the large animals (elephants, rhino, lions, tigers, gorillas) have mostly been move out to Whipsnade, so just 1 gorilla, 1 lion, 1 tiger and no elephants or rhino. Lots of monkeys, giraffes, zebras etc.
It was pricey - think about £14 for adults, not sure about children. But I would imagine you could spend the best part of a day there if you saw everything - we did a bit of a dash round in about 3 hours and missed load.
I would say do it - and check on times for certain attractions like penguin feeding etc when you arrive, so you can really make the most of it.

goingfor3 Mon 24-Sep-07 07:59:58

I really like London Zoo and prefer it to whipsnade. We used to have a yearly pass and we went really frequently but unfortunatley we don't have the time any more.

Hulababy Mon 24-Sep-07 08:23:19

I won tickets for London Zoo from MN, so DH , me and 5yo DD travelled down to London for the weekend and visited. We really enjoyed the zoo and actually thought it better than Chester, which is where we would normally go. It seemed much more interactive and up close, and the shows were fab too.

Food was fine, typical of any of these family type days out.

We spent from about 11am (by time we'd travelled down) to 5pm or so there and didn't get to do everything.

Katymac Mon 24-Sep-07 12:51:09

Thanks for the advise everyone - I think we will 'think' about it

staryeyed Tue 25-Sep-07 20:40:27

I think London Zoo is overrated. Not enough animals and not worth the money but that's just my opinion.

charliecat Wed 26-Sep-07 12:44:46

oh and you can use your tescos thingys katy

Katymac Thu 27-Sep-07 07:18:20

Thanks Charliecat - but it's too late (I'll remember if we go again)

Katymac Sun 30-Sep-07 20:47:42

We went to the museum of childhood instead and it was wonderful

I was impressed with everything about it (except the shop - as I was ready to spend some serious money....& it was all crap)

My it's changed since I last went

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now