Talk

Advanced search

Durham area attractions?

(10 Posts)
Polgara2 Mon 27-Aug-07 17:36:23

We're going up to Beamish and staying overnight so has anyone got any suggestions on where else to see whilst we're there? We should have a spare half a day to fill.

Polgara2 Mon 27-Aug-07 18:50:30

Anyone?

gingergirl Mon 27-Aug-07 18:59:55

Hi I don't know if this is what you're looking for but I can recommend it. It shouldn't be too far too travel and we had a good time there recently.
HTH

lilymolly Mon 27-Aug-07 19:16:13

Hall Hill Farm, near Satley/Lanchester.
Its a lovely working farm with excellent playground and picnic facilities, its near me, and is in lovely countryside.
Their is also diggerland, just outside Durham City.

Polgara2 Mon 27-Aug-07 21:06:31

Thanks will go and look. Any suggestions for if it rains?

lilolilmanchester Mon 27-Aug-07 21:11:01

How old are your DCs? The Durham Light Infantry Museum is good fun. The Castle and Cathedral more interesting than you might think, plus lovely walk alongside the river and boats if it's fine. Beamish is fab, by the way. My geography teacher helped set it up many, many years ago tho it's changed a lot since then.

Indith Mon 27-Aug-07 21:15:08

A spare half day is just perfect for a stroll along the river, a castle tour and some good cake in one of the many wonderful independent coffee places. The are plenty of little museums dotted around the city too. The botanic gardens are fab aswell.

kiskidee Mon 27-Aug-07 21:21:03

and across from the botanic gardens is the oriental museum.

Polgara2 Tue 28-Aug-07 22:30:12

Thanks everyone. Like the sound of strolling by the river and a cake/coffee etc (not sure if dds 7 & 10 would agree mind you!). Read somewhere about Killhope (sp?) - anyone know about it?

lilymolly Wed 29-Aug-07 08:39:32

Killhope wheel is an old lime mine which is open as a museam, dont know what it is like, but it is about a hours drive from durham city. Weardale where killhope wheel is, is a lovely countryside and has plenty of picnic stops along the river.
Wolsingham is also on the way and is a lovely village with a nice park and some nice river walks.
Stanhope also on the way also has an open air swimming pool but is not heated so needs to be a red hot day!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now