Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

tell me about the Science Museum in Manchester

(19 Posts)
MerlinsBeard Sat 25-Aug-07 16:04:01

remembered that we have this here and only just discovered its free (why i have never known that i will never know!)

So.... tell me the good bits and bad bits please!

roisin Sat 25-Aug-07 16:08:49

It's FABULOUS! What do you want to know? How old are your children?

roisin Sat 25-Aug-07 16:10:19

In the main building at the bottom there are some lockers - £1 (I think) returnable (like in a swimming pool), so you can leave your bags/packed lunch or whatever there: worth doing as the site is HUGE.

Food is overpriced and poor quality (like lots of similar places), but there is lots of space to picnic.

On the top floor of the main building there's a big hands-on science gallery place, which is great for the kids. Get there early though, and go to that gallery first as it does get crowded.

marthamoo Sat 25-Aug-07 16:11:40

Yes, it's really good. We used to have a season ticket (in the days when you had to pay). They also have very good extra exhibitions on (we went to see a Star Trek one once, it's Dr Who atm I believe) though you have to pay extra for those.

Loads of hands on stuff, really big place - can easily spend the day there.

roisin Sat 25-Aug-07 16:12:26

Beware when clambering on trains. Once I was in an old Chinese engine with ds2 - 4 at the time - and this old chap came up and locked us in the cab, along with half a dozen other people, and started this long lecture about the history of the engine! It was fascinating, but ds2 didn't have the stamina for it, and I was spending the day with an old friend I hadn't seen for years. So we had to make our apologies and ask to be permitted to escape. grin

roisin Sat 25-Aug-07 16:13:56

There's a big section about water supply, reservoirs, and sewers, which the boys found fascinating. It is underground though - dark tunnels, so probably not suitable for very sensitive children. I'm not sure about access for pushchairs/wheelchairs in that bit either, as I seem to remember lots of steps.

roisin Sat 25-Aug-07 16:15:01

The extra exhibitions are quite pricey, but actually only very small. So only worth paying for if you have a particular interest.

Aarrgghhh! I've just remembered ds2 has been to the Doctor Who one, and I promised ds1 I'd take him and we haven't been. I'd better go and check when it finishes.

marthamoo Sat 25-Aug-07 16:16:10

Ds1 used to be scared of the sewers - we had to run through that bit grin

MerlinsBeard Sat 25-Aug-07 16:19:53

they are 2 and 4 so will most likely have the buggy esp if going by train.

I have a vague memory of going as a child and just looked at the website and looks FAB. they LOVE messing with things..is that what the Xperiment bit is? and they will scream with delight at the planes and trains!

DP also wants to go whih will belovely as he never wants to do anything theses days!

MerlinsBeard Sat 25-Aug-07 16:21:51

sewers? oo er! DS2 would love that tho hmm

am kicking myself that i didn't remember this earlier in the hols!

Whizzz Sat 25-Aug-07 16:23:33

And you can look out of the Hands on bit & see Coronation Street grin
Don't forget the airplane & space bit over the road & also the train rides in the yard grin

marthamoo Sat 25-Aug-07 16:24:18

Yes, the Xperiment thing is all hands on stuff - prisms and mirrors and musical instruments etc. And the Air and Space bit (used to be a separate museum so you have to cross over the road from the main Science museum to get to it) is great - but you can't go in many of the planes and none of them are fenced off so you have to watch they don't climb on the ones you are not supposed to!

Oooh we must go again soon - Dr Who exhibition is on until November so I think we'll go one weekend after they go back to school, when it's not quite so busy.

MerlinsBeard Sat 25-Aug-07 16:31:37

any bad points? aside from the price of the food - we will take a picnic!

Whizzz Sat 25-Aug-07 18:02:21

Must say, the last time we went I thought the food wasn't too bad. I can't think of any bad points really

WendyWeber Sat 25-Aug-07 18:26:28

You might like to have a look at Family Friendly Manchester, mom - see what else there is to do smile

marthamoo Sat 25-Aug-07 18:42:23

I agree, Whizzz - we ate in the big cafe at the top last time and it was fine (I think we just had sandwiches or soup - something simple anyway).

karabiner Sat 25-Aug-07 18:50:16

mumofmonsters - science museum is great. loads for your DC to do. The xperiment is great for that age.

Get there early though when it opens as it does get crowded in the holidays/weekends. with big queues to get into the experiment.

Take your own food. Expensive otherwise and there are picnic areas inside.

MerlinsBeard Sun 26-Aug-07 11:13:49

ty everyone we are going on Wednesday - early and with a picnic!

That site is great Wendy Weber, have bookmarked it for the next hols. Wish i had known about it earlier.

oh well, hindsight and all that!

mylittlefreya Tue 28-Aug-07 07:10:17

It's also not far from the canal - if it's sunny there are some nice picnic spots.

There's a little soft play area in the 'Power Hall' - I have been there twice with my dd (8 months) and had it to ourselves both times - including in the holidays (so don't tell everyone!!). Might be a bit little for your eldest though.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now