Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Anyone coming up for the Blackpool Illumination Switch on??

(13 Posts)
bubblerock Wed 22-Aug-07 11:44:23

Looks like a good line up this year!

31st August 2007

Switch on by David Tennant
Hosted by Dale Winton
Entertainment by the cast of Chicago and South Pacific
Music by Gareth Gates, McFly, Natalie Imbruglia, Natasha Bedingfield and others

It's usually a fantastic atmosphere and it's FREE!

bubblerock Tue 28-Aug-07 11:54:03

Also being switched on tonight whilst the prom is closed for cyclists only so if you want to go when it's quiet then it's ideal.

oliveoil Tue 28-Aug-07 11:55:03

no

fawkeoff Tue 28-Aug-07 11:56:48

ooooh really so we could go tonight and see them being switched on then.....was speaking to dp about the illuminations a couple of nights ago, he thought they had been on already

filthymindedvixen Tue 28-Aug-07 12:03:21

we want to come up to see the ;iiuminations - not neccessarilty the switch on. When is best time of day to come with children?

bubblerock Tue 28-Aug-07 12:07:56

At night when you can see them??

bubblerock Tue 28-Aug-07 12:12:12

We also have the world fireworks championships throughout September and they are pretty spectacular, here's the info -

Top firework companies from around the globe will be invited to stage pyrotechnical displays, bringing an International flavour to Central Promenade during the opening weeks of Blackpool’s World Famous Illuminations season.

One display will be presented per evening on Sunday 2nd and Fridays 7th, 14th, 21st and 28th September 2007.

To out-shine their opponents, entrants must demonstrate cutting edge pyro-musical design with a display that represents the style or traditions of their country. Each competing company will launch fireworks particular to their homeland and showcase their own pyrotechnical expertise, to win the public vote.

Countries will include: Portugal, Canada, UK, Austria and a final celebratory display on the last night.

Build up will commence around 7.30pm Fireworks from approximately 8.30pm

Please note this event is subject to suitable weather conditions.

filthymindedvixen Tue 28-Aug-07 16:08:57

dur, didn't mean that - meant are they lit up from dusk or later?
Thanks for the firework info, very tempting as I adore fireworks

HollyGoHeavily Tue 28-Aug-07 16:28:08

Oh I love fireworks!!!!

I live a bit of a distance away though - do you recommend coming for the celebration final or one of the heats?

Righteo - off to persuade my DP he wants to go to Blackpool!

bubblerock Tue 28-Aug-07 18:06:08

Switch on times each night

filthymindedvixen Tue 28-Aug-07 18:52:50

bubblerock, you're a star <<scurries off to raid piggy banks for candyfloss>>>

filthymindedvixen Tue 28-Aug-07 18:54:36

now, if only there was a nice MN-friendly B and B to visit <<wistful>>...

bubblerock Tue 28-Aug-07 19:16:13

Aha, well I've warned them all about MNetters now so you're going to struggle winkgrin I did suggest once that MN start a chain of family friendly hotels across the Uk (fully stocked fruit shoot vending machines on each floor of course!) lol

Off the top of my head you could try the Fylde Hotel or the Hazelwood both on Palatine Rd. Or just have a look on Laterooms to see if you can get a deal (ring the hotel direct and ask if you can get a better deal instead of going through laterooms as it will save them commission)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now