Talk

Advanced search

V&A London. Any good for 2yr old and 6yr old?

(10 Posts)
corblimeycharlie Thu 16-Aug-07 11:18:38

Looking for something to do in London next week. We are accompanying Dh on another of his business trips but he will be in work all day Thurs. We visited NHM back in March and although it would take years to see it all there I think we have done what we can there for the moment. Has anyone been to V&A and is it young children friendly? (will have stroller but potty trained)

aloha Thu 16-Aug-07 11:20:17

Science Museum much better choice than V&A for that age IMO. Lots of buttons to press. Also did you do the human body bit of the NHM museum? Just to the right as you go into the dinosaur bit? Fascinating, lots of quizzes and buttons to press and games to play. I take my dd (2) and ds (5) there and they love it.

ricepuddingpaddington Thu 16-Aug-07 11:21:47

Science museum has big Bob the Builder exhibit at the mo. Agree much more suitable than V & A.

corblimeycharlie Thu 16-Aug-07 11:23:48

We had a quick look into the Science museum in March but it was getting late and didn't get much further than the big exhibits like the Rocket.
I'm not very sciencey so I'm being selfishly reluctant to go to the science museum. I would really like to look at the fashion exhibits in V&A but I'm guessing you might say there won't be much for lo's to do?

aloha Thu 16-Aug-07 11:27:20

I like the fashion galleries but they are appalling dull for young children, and if the kids are bored, I promise you won't enjoy it! The science museum has fab galleries for children - downstairs there is a great play area, and upstairs an area which is all interactive. YOu can test your brain in dozens of different ways, which will fascinate your six year old, and the two year old can run about and press random buttons. But I think the Human Body bit of the NHM is my favourite. There is a Giant Baby in the womb!

hatwoman Thu 16-Aug-07 11:31:44

I love teh V and A for kids, esp in holidays. It is quiet - you don;t have to do battle just to get in teh door. The science museum leaves you feel like you've been playing rugby all day. The V and A has activity packs whihc are great - the one that sticks in my mind is a series of photos of staff in ludicrous poses and the kids had to find statues in teh same pose. There aren;t that many packs so they do limit which galleries you go to if you want to use them. I found dds tolerance of 20th century furniture was, funnily enough, limited. but the Chinese gallery -(with said silly pose game, plus others) was considered excellent fun.

Lola234 Fri 18-Jul-08 12:18:39

dont take the kids to the V&A. they will be bored, honestly.

Earlybird Fri 18-Jul-08 12:24:03

Why not go to the Aquarium instead? Might be a better bet.

When you visited NHM in March, did you go to the Butterfly exhibit? We went a few weeks ago, and it's fab.

PrimulaVeris Fri 18-Jul-08 12:24:06

Get yourself over the road to the Science Museum and Nat History museum. Don't worry about the science - go to the new Launch Pad on the third floor, and the basement where there's a water tank room for under 6's. Lots of buttons to press everywhere.

I love art museums myself, but I'm very sceptical about their suitability for that age group.

slug Fri 18-Jul-08 14:09:50

I have successfully taken young children to the V&A. There's a nice central couryard with a pool for paddling in while you eat your picnic lunch, things to try on and do (DD and friends, aged 6 collapsed in giggles when trying on crinolines) and is much quieter than the Science Museum. I would do that first then dash across the road for a quick play oin the Launch Pad part of the Science Museum. If the Natural History Museum still has their butterfly exhibit on it's well worth the 3 quid or so. It's aimed at small children and has masses of live butterflies flying around.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now