Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Is anyone planning to go and see the Terracotta Army at the British Museum?

(22 Posts)
roisin Tue 14-Aug-07 10:46:33

It's pricey - £12 per adult, but free for U16s. But it is something I've always wanted to see.

(Obviously they are only bringing over a couple of dozen figures, not thousands of them! But my mum said when she saw it in China you couldn't get up close, so this would be good.)

FlameBatfink Tue 14-Aug-07 11:22:25

I saw an exhibit years ago (must have been about 7 yrs old) and still vividly remember it now - GO!

LIZS Tue 14-Aug-07 11:30:08

dh mentioned this the other day - how long is it on for ?

Sheherazadethegoat Tue 14-Aug-07 11:30:38

i saw them in china [brag emoticon]. they were fabulous.

FioFio Tue 14-Aug-07 11:31:11

Message withdrawn

FrogPrincess Tue 14-Aug-07 11:33:17

yes, I can't wait to go and see that! I think dd will love it too

gomez Tue 14-Aug-07 11:34:11

Have seen them in Edinburgh and in-situ in China and would fully recommend - they are amazing.

(Although must admit had an urge to launch a bowling bowl down the lines of soldiers when in Xian .)

FrogPrincess Tue 14-Aug-07 11:36:07

More info here

lol gomez

oliveoil Tue 14-Aug-07 11:36:21

hmmmm

in RL I imagine it would be amazing

seeing 12 in a room, hmmmm

did you know they brought them over in 2 separate planes in cases one crashed as they were so valuable?

like the bloody royal family

huge article in times the other day, will try and find it

oliveoil Tue 14-Aug-07 11:36:57

x post with Frog

michaelad Tue 14-Aug-07 11:37:20

We are going with lots of friends on my birthday in October..can't wait!

LIZS Tue 14-Aug-07 11:37:58

looks like it could be a half term excursion

wheresthehamster Tue 14-Aug-07 11:45:36

I think £12 is quite reasonable because the insurance and shipping costs must be astronomical.
I have pre-registered for tickets for the Tutankhamen exhibition at the Dome and I can't find what the actual price for THOSE tickets anywhere. Eeek!

roisin Thu 16-Aug-07 19:13:56

We've booked tickets for when we are in London at October half term. Tickets are selling fast.

roisin Sat 15-Sep-07 21:42:52

If you're planning to go, did you see the programme on BBC2 this evening: it was fab. I'm looking forward to the exhibition even more now!

I'm going to let the boys watch it when it is repeated - 7pm this Tuesday (18th Sep)

Anchovy Sat 15-Sep-07 21:48:40

Ds is nearly 6 (we live in London) and I will definitely take him - I think it is a once in a lifeime experience.

I went to the Tutankhamen exhibition when I was 7 (back in the early 1970's - eek!) It was a fantastic experience for me which 35+ years later I remember very clearly - I really hope this will have the same impact.

southeatsastras Sat 15-Sep-07 21:49:58

i feel uneasy that they're being exhibited at all. why did they move them? <worried>

annh Sat 15-Sep-07 22:58:43

I brought both boys this afternoon and it was fab! We got home (via Pizza Express) about 8 p.m. and realised the programme was on TV so we sat and watched that which made the whole visit more worthwhile because it explained things the boys had missed and they got excited seeing the same things they had seen in RL a few hours earlier. The timed entry is good but it is very busy and there were surprisingly few children. They have a kids trail leaflet which we only partly followed because of the number of people there.

I've seen the warriors in Xian and the boys had seen photos so was a bit worried that they were expecting to see the massed ranks but they loved it. At 9 and 6, they were old enough to appreciate the antiquity of the statues and I was amazed that we got to see them close up. You're just a few feet away with no glass barrier.

Would definitely recommend it and I thought £12 was good value - much better than the King Tut exhibition which costs £50 for a family ticket at weekends - still thinking about that one!

funnypeculiar Sat 15-Sep-07 23:00:20

Watched that programme too, roisin & now inspired to book - looked fab

Skribble Sat 15-Sep-07 23:26:41

I remember going to see it with my Mum over 20yrs ago and I was impressed which is not bad considering I was the kind of child that always objected to being dragged around old stones.

Depends how they will be displayed. I remember there being quite a lot and they made an effort to display them like they had just been discovered on a dig ( I think). Lined up on plinths in a room wouldn't be soo impressive.

alipiggie Sat 15-Sep-07 23:31:55

I went before when it first came over, it was amazing but then it was a room full of the terracotta soldiers. Don't think as many are being brought over this year. I actually think it was even more expensive then that it is now. The tickets were a present from a College friend of mine and it made for a fantastic weekend in London.

I also went to see King Tut too and sat on the pavement outside the British Museum for many an hour with my mother. Now that was a truly fabulous exhibition. Have seen the real Gold Death Mask in Egypt (Cairo Museum) too.

Go, I'm sure it will be an amazing exhibition.

littlelapin Sat 15-Sep-07 23:36:28

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now