Talk

Advanced search

Chislehurst Caves - Anyone been recently?

(8 Posts)
nannynick Sat 04-Aug-07 12:54:51

What is Chislehurst Caves like?
I am trying to find a some caves which are not as touristy as say Wookey Hole, somewhere with less people visiting, somewhere which won't mind a special needs child visiting (he can walk, so no access difficulties).

I recall visiting Chislehurst Caves when I was about 8 years old - so many many years ago. Anyone able to tell me what it is like these days?

floopowder Sun 05-Aug-07 01:32:24

Don't know about Chislehurst caves, but have you been to Eastry Caves, I went when i was young and they were nice, I'll have to take my kids there.

nannynick Sun 05-Aug-07 09:21:32

Never heard of Eastry Caves. Is that more towards Dover area?

Chislehurst Caves website: www.chislehurstcaves.co.uk (not working right now for some reason, though it was fine yesterday!)

floopowder Sun 05-Aug-07 12:55:37

Yes, eastry is near dover, sorry i thought you lived further south than you do. Nice place to visit although like you I have not been since I was 8. Worringly dp is looking at taking our dd to walk up mount Snowdon, I really don't want to have to do that, give me a cave anytime. lol

nannynick Sun 05-Aug-07 15:58:28

Went to Chislehurst Caves today, it was great. Nearly 5 year old autistic child I took with me enjoyed it and behaved well - loved being at front of the tour group, with the guide... though took a while for him to understand that he could not carry the lamp (as it was hot).

I remembered parts of the caves from my childhood visit(s). There was a new carving (done about 9 years ago), but the rest was all the was it was when I visited back in the 80's.

Almost 2 hours to get back home again, that is the only trouble with visiting South East London/Kent - have to battle with M25 or South Circular.

nannynick Sun 05-Aug-07 15:59:32

Oh better add for those reading this in the future - I would recommend that children are aged 7+ for visiting the caves. Younger children may enjoy it, but it is very dark in places, and at one point there is a loud noise.

Kbear Sun 05-Aug-07 16:20:15

Call Chislehurst Caves before you go if I were you. When DH turned up there recently with DS and DD there were two coachloads of German school children about to go down and it is much better in small groups - more atmospheric, less noise etc.

charliecat Sun 05-Aug-07 16:32:40

Its a guided tour, my dds were bored.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now