Talk

Advanced search

Wookey hole or Cheddar Gorge - which is best?

(12 Posts)
SlightlyMadSpider Tue 31-Jul-07 09:17:59

?

DTDs 6
DD3 15m

OrmIrian Tue 31-Jul-07 09:25:21

Wookey Hole. It's a more extensive cave and very dramatic in places - perhaps a little too dramatic with a babe in arms in one places where there is a huge scary drop that you cross on a walkway, but you don't have to do that as there is an alternative route for that bit. No pushchairs as far as I remember. There is also a display of old fair ground stuff and games and a mirror maze. And some new dinosaur stuff apparently but we haven't been for a few years.

I can't remember going to Cheddar Caves but my kids went with their GPs at Easter and they said it was good. But I still suspect Wookey is better.

ejt1764 Tue 31-Jul-07 09:29:18

We went to both a couple of years ago - for the sheer amount of stuff to do, I'd suggest Wookey Hole - you could 'lose' the dtds in the soft play area for a couple of hours - and there's also a dinosaur park - which entertained ds no end!

Cheddar Gorge is good for older kids - ds enjoyed it, but it's Wookey Hole he still remembers.

islandofsodor Tue 31-Jul-07 12:45:06

Wookey Hole. Its more interactive, more gered to children. Cheddar Gorge is more for the serious walkers/cave enthusiasts.

Cheddar village is well worth a visit though.

SlightlyMadSpider Tue 31-Jul-07 17:56:03

OK sounds like it is Wookey then

I have actually been to both pre DC and thought Wookey was probably better - although we didn't do the caves at Cheddar when we went.

I was just looking at the Wookey website and it looked as though it had gone a bit tacky (new owner in Dec 2006 seems to be a circus enthusiast )

mumblechum Tue 31-Jul-07 23:13:37

We went to Wookey Hole last year with ds (then 11). It was good fun. The Wookey Hole pub is really nice, can recommend it for lunch.

Sherbert37 Tue 31-Jul-07 23:28:23

You can get in free to Wookey Hole with Tesco Clubcard vouchers.

SlightlyMadSpider Wed 01-Aug-07 14:37:54

I could, I had considered it......but I am saving my vouchers for a big holiday next year. Besides a bit late to order them with the postal strikes etc.

ChasingSquirrels Wed 01-Aug-07 14:44:43

Wookey Hole is dreadful. We went in May and I was REALLY disappointed (ds1 - 4.5y, ds2 - 16mo at the time). The caves weren't very good, and were a bit difficult with the 16mo. The dinosaurs were ok, but only ok - and ds1 who is dinosaur obsessed had had enough after about 30 mins there. The only other thing that attracted ds1 was the penny arcade which took old pennies that had to be purchased for 5 for 50p. We paid with Tesco vouchers and if I had paid full price I would have been really pissed off. The soft play isn't that decent - and if that's what you wanted you might as well save your money and go to a proper soft play. If you do go don't eat there, the Big Top Restaurant was crap.

not been to Cheddar for yearsso can't comment.

SlightlyMadSpider Wed 01-Aug-07 14:51:07

Thats a useful opinion from this year.

Apparently it had a new owner in Dec 2006, the website is awfully tacky and apparenltly the new owner has some sort of circus link.

I would definately have chosen Wookey over Cheddar before I saw how tacky the website is and I have to say it has really put me off - which is why I asked.

ChasingSquirrels Wed 01-Aug-07 17:41:41

I guess I was just really disappointed because I was looking forward to it, I didn't find the caves anything special (but maybe I have been spoilt by the caves we saw in New Zealand a few years ago).
Oh, I remembered the other thing that ds1 liked was the pirate canon area with air canons for firing soft balls.

nannynick Sat 04-Aug-07 12:50:26

Talking of Caves, has anyone been to Chislehurst Caves recently?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now