Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

London Aquarium with 15month old - I have some stupid questions, please humour me.

(20 Posts)
MuffinMclay Thu 26-Jul-07 13:57:31

Someone is borrowing my dog next week so I have a rare opportunity to have a day out in London. I want to go somewhere within walking distance of City Thameslink or Blackfriars stations (don't fancy the tube with a pushchair), and was thinking of London Aquarium.

Just wondering, is it very dark inside? Ds didn't like an aquarium we took him to in France because, I think, of the dark. Mind you, that one wasn't very child friendly either (tanks v. high).

And is it horrendously busy in the school holidays?

If it would be a real no-no with very small children please tell me!

legalalien Thu 26-Jul-07 14:02:35

It's not terribly dark, and quite a few of the tanks are low enough down that he could probably see into them. DS really liked it when he was about that age (still does).

If you're there, there's a small children's playground outside on the east side of the building - if you're at the entrance to the acquarium, facing the river, turn right and then right again at the end of the building - towards the London Eye.

Not sure about busyness during school holidays - might be if it rains? But it's quite big - I've been on weekends and managed OK.

suzywong Thu 26-Jul-07 14:05:08

I took ds1 when he was about that age

lot of traipsing around for a few fish with a nipper.

WHy don't YOU go browsing along hte new cultural centre in teh sount bank and take him over the bridges to look at the boats.?

costs an arm and a leg and all

NotQuiteCockney Thu 26-Jul-07 14:07:29

The aquarium is quite dark, and most of the tanks are high. I like it, but it is mind-bogglingly expensive for what it is. I think the Tate is more fun, really.

MuffinMclay Thu 26-Jul-07 14:08:25

What is the new cultural centre? I'm so out of touch with all things London-related...

MuffinMclay Thu 26-Jul-07 14:09:50

Can you be noisy and run around in the Tate? (ds not me, I hasten to add)

legalalien Thu 26-Jul-07 14:10:07

actually, thinking of boats, you might also want to consider catching a boat cruise down to greenwich (even if it rains, you can sit inside and look out the windows). Greenwich park is lovely, and the waterstones bookshop just up from cutty sark station is really good about letting children paw through all the books. you could get a mainline train back to london bridge?

suzywong Thu 26-Jul-07 14:11:12

it's where the NFI used to be, isn't it NQC? east of the festival hall, it was all fab bookshops and stuff when I was there last, and not full of dossers and skateboarders, which was nice. You could walk along the river path from the station to it.

What I mean to say is there is so much to see along the river that your ds will be veyr satisfied.

I must stop now as I am aching with homesickness

legalalien Thu 26-Jul-07 14:11:48

yes, tate would be fine. Tate Modern, that is, not the other one.

If you're going on Friday, the Borough Food Market (near London Bridge station) would be worth a look in, although perhaps not with a pushchair, at least at lunchtime - gets pretty crowded.

foxinsocks Thu 26-Jul-07 14:14:13

the skateboarders are still there

it's alright but it is a bit claustrophobic and it is expensive (check for cheap tickets on line, vouchers and the like - look at last minute for example) and will probably be very busy (especially with the rain and people looking for indoor stuff to do).

MuffinMclay Thu 26-Jul-07 14:14:37

Another good idea.

MuffinMclay Thu 26-Jul-07 14:15:41

I think Borough Market would be a nightmare with a pushchair, much as I'd love to go.

MuffinMclay Thu 26-Jul-07 14:17:32

Think you've talked me out of the aquarium.

legalalien Thu 26-Jul-07 14:17:52

I have only ever done the market, with child, at 8am on a saturday, with him still less than 6 months and in a babybjorn. but I recognise that some people are braver (and pushier) than me

NotQuiteCockney Thu 26-Jul-07 14:18:50

I've done Borough with a (big!) pushchair, but I go early on a Saturday morning, if I'm going - done by 10, for sure. I don't know what Fridays are like.

The skateboarders are lovely, but the smell is a problem for me. They're always doing graffiti, and the smell of that paint [nausea].

Yes, the whole south bank thing is great, though, there's lots to see.

The Tate is fine for running and shouting. I think turbine hall normally is pretty toddler-proof, but inside you do find yourself saying 'don't touch!' quite a bit.

They get annoyed if your child starts kicking a ball around the galleries. Um, I've heard. It never happened to me. I swear. Honest. Really.

foxinsocks Thu 26-Jul-07 14:19:26

there's LOADS of stuff on at the Royal Festival Hall too...will look up the website for you in a mo, but we popped along a few weeks ago and they had lots of free stuff on and my kids had a wonderful time

foxinsocks Thu 26-Jul-07 14:21:23

It might be worth guaging how busy the acquarium is - if you get there early or very late, maybe it's OK (didn't they used to do cheap tickets after a certain time? don't know if they still do)

here's the southbank centre what's on

the Soapbox Maze thing in the Royal Festival Hall sounds fabulous

legalalien Thu 26-Jul-07 14:25:37

right, well that's sunday's activity sorted out then.

Hope they've secured the soap boxes - if not they're unlikely to stay stacked four high for long....

MuffinMclay Thu 26-Jul-07 15:37:39

Thanks everyone. That is really helpful. Think we'll wander around the river bank for a couple of hours, look at boats etc, with the option of going on at boat, into Tate Modern etc if it rains.

We're meeting dh for lunch (City Thameslink area). Then I hope ds will nod off so that I can go shopping for an hour or so in peace.

Legalalien - I'm very tempted by the Greenwich Waterstones idea. An admirer of mine (many, many moons ago) works there I believe. Bet he'd feel differently if he saw me now with ds in tow!

mother3 Tue 14-Aug-07 08:54:11

Just a stupid question .why is some one borrowing your dog.I wouldnt let some 1 borrow my dog!!Would feel sorry 4 both of them.My dog is like a baby,she thinks she is a humam being.I guess thats my fault she is spoilt.Whe we take her to the local park she sits on the bench with us even though the point of her going is for excersize.Stupid mutt .

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now