Talk

Advanced search

Chessington Zoo for 4yr old?

(25 Posts)
rabbitrabbit Wed 25-Jul-07 17:12:35

Hiya, has anyone been to Chessington Zoo...and would you recommend it for a 4yr old? Do you know if you can buy tickets for just the zoo?
We're moving and ds has also been ill, he's been fantastic but I can only take him somewhere tomorrow morning as a real treat before I a) spend the rest of the day packing and b) we move on Friday morning!

LIZS Wed 25-Jul-07 17:16:43

No you don't think so, it is all or nothing, I fear, apart from in the winter when the theme park closes but zoo is open. We went yesterday and only passed through the zoo area although there were animal shows going on throughout the day so you could miss out the rides but a bit pricey for that.

bundle Wed 25-Jul-07 17:19:13

it's expensive

it stinks of horrid fast food

there are some rides for little ones but i think it's geared much more for teens/adults

LIZS Wed 25-Jul-07 17:20:43

hmm , the food seemed fine and varied(more so than at Legoland for example) and there was plenty for ours(9 and 5 ) to do !

kslatts Wed 25-Jul-07 17:27:21

We went on Sunday and had a great day, dd2 is 5 and there were loads of rides that she could go on. I think you need to spend the day there though.

Woburn Abbey has a good safari park that we have been to if you only want to see animals.

bundle Wed 25-Jul-07 17:28:47

dds are 7 and 4. dh's company hired the whole place out, just before the season started. glad we took packed lunch, the food did smell awful. the zoo and the train ride around it up above the rides were good. i really think our eldest enjoyed it more than dd2.

rabbitrabbit Wed 25-Jul-07 17:29:28

Thanks everyone, I'm going to have a look at Woburn as that might be an alternative. Thanks

bundle Wed 25-Jul-07 17:34:30

dd1 has gone to woburn today with her playscheme - will let you know how she got on

rabbitrabbit Wed 25-Jul-07 17:35:07

Thanks Bundle, could do with any ideas!

bundle Wed 25-Jul-07 17:38:15

as far as i can remember I've paid £10 for her to go but dunno if that includes the coach

MadamePlatypus Wed 25-Jul-07 17:39:07

Well I went there when I was 4 and it was still Chessington Zoo and I loved it. However, now that it is Chessington World of Adventures I think there are better animal experiences around for children. Where are you based?

rabbitrabbit Wed 25-Jul-07 17:41:15

In Teddington (tho moving near Elstead on Friday.)

bundle Wed 25-Jul-07 17:43:44

have you been to birdworld?

rabbitrabbit Wed 25-Jul-07 17:45:03

Yes, we went to Birdworld quite some time ago-he's been talking about going to the zoo for a while so I think I might just bite the bullet and go to Chessington...!

LIZS Wed 25-Jul-07 17:46:19

There's farm parks around that area too - Hortons' nr Epsom or Bocketts

CarGirl Wed 25-Jul-07 17:47:01

Chessington is fantastic for our 5 & 3 year old, there's the zoo, the farm, lots and lots of rides they can go on (provided they are 90cm or taller), indoor soft play (good for the rain) and theatre shows that are naff but the kids love them!

If you go get there early and prepared to stay for the whole day. we've got annual passes and recently is has been quiet because of the weather forecast.

Better than Legoland IME

CarGirl Wed 25-Jul-07 17:48:01

We manage to make a full day of it at Bocketts too but not so good if it's raining or been wet I should think the outdoor bits are very muddy at the mo!

scampadoodle Wed 25-Jul-07 19:11:43

Is Horton's good? My dad lives very near there. The website looks great.

scampadoodle Wed 25-Jul-07 19:12:30

Sorry - my DSs are 3 and [nearly] 6.

CarGirl Wed 25-Jul-07 19:19:13

never been but friends have said it's as good as bocketts

scampadoodle Wed 25-Jul-07 19:28:44

Bocketts looked good too, but DS1 isn't that into animals (although DS2 is) & there seems more for him to do at Hortons. It's cheaper too -for adults anyway.

bundle Thu 26-Jul-07 10:14:29

dd1 was a bit reluctant to talk about Woburn, but seemed to enjoy it (only comment: Why didn't you give me any money for the shop??? )

kslatts Thu 26-Jul-07 10:56:14

Horton's is really good, lots of play areas (inc indoor soft play).

Dd2 went to Bocketts farm and said it was really good, she especially enjoyed the pig racing.

We have also been to Paradise park which has lots of big cats and some really nice play areas.

MadamePlatypus Thu 26-Jul-07 13:33:36

Hope you found somewhere nice to go. I was going to say Deen City Farm is very good - its near Wimbledon. Also, Battersea Park Children's Zoo is good and is trainable from Teddington I think, although not sure about Elstead!

rabbitrabbit Fri 27-Jul-07 13:47:34

Hi everyone, we went to Horton's and had a great time! It's really expanded since we were there last and ds loved it; thanks very much for all the recommendations, I've saved them for another time!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now