Talk

Advanced search

Places to see before leaving the UK

(14 Posts)
SanetJvv Tue 10-Jul-07 13:35:04

Weve been living in the UK for just over 4 years now. Both our dds were born here and we love the country and its people. This might be our last summer here, we really miss our family and we are thinking of returning to South Africa early next year. What days out with children do you recommend? My father is coming to visit us in December, its the only time he can get away from his work. We want to make his stay special and show hom how wonderfull the UK is..... the problem is, it is so cold during December months. Any sugestions?

hertsnessex Tue 10-Jul-07 13:38:10

british museum
lake district
forest walks
old fashioned train rides
xmas fayres/plays
theatre
london eye
tower of london

cx

SanetJvv Tue 10-Jul-07 13:44:52

My brother and his wive will probably take my dad to London. I like the idea of old fashioned train rides. My dad loves old buildings, that wont be a problem with all the lovely old churches around...

WaynettaSlob Tue 10-Jul-07 13:46:05

stratford-upon-avon
open top bus tour of London

TooTicky Tue 10-Jul-07 13:47:16

West Somerset Railway

Lolly68 Tue 10-Jul-07 14:39:08

Hampton Court

SanetJvv Tue 10-Jul-07 15:01:51

We think Stratford-upon-avon is a wonderfull
place and will definately take my father there.(and Bourton on the water)

We havent been to the lake district or Hampton court and my dh would love going, something to do if there is another sunny day this summer. Hampton court isnt open after 28 October.

ladygrinningsoul Tue 10-Jul-07 21:07:21

Kew Gardens is nice in the winter, lots of glasshouses to go into if cold. Also the museums in South Kensington - your dad needs to see the Natural History Museum, what a building!

PestoMonster Tue 10-Jul-07 21:13:35

They have a nice ice rink outside the Natural History museum in the winter and lots of little chalets selling seasonal stuff like mulled wine & homemade stuff. You could maybe incorporate this experience with your museum trip and take your dds skating.

We took our dds there last winter and they loved it.

SanetJvv Wed 11-Jul-07 08:26:12

Thank you for the ideas, I am getting excited now and cant wait starting planning all our trips.

DaddyJ Wed 11-Jul-07 08:33:02

Take him to a couple of excellent pubs!

One pub that never fails to entertain
is called Waxy O'Connor's (Rupert Street, off Leicester Square).

Have a nose.

SanetJvv Wed 11-Jul-07 08:43:53

Wow, we will definataly go there!!!

Slubberdegullion Wed 11-Jul-07 08:48:36

You need to try and do a proper Pantomime before you leave (if you are planning Dec trips).

SanetJvv Wed 11-Jul-07 08:50:29

We havent seen a pantomime yet, so we will add this to our list. Thank you.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: