Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Really good day out wanted in august

(20 Posts)
Loshad Tue 22-May-07 11:36:32

My dear father has offered to take all 4 boys on an outing of their choice in August. We're in Leeds, he's in durham so could go anywhere within 2-3 hours drive of either place. I was thinking not Alton towers as probably too busy for him to properly supervise. They've done most of the stately homes in the region (a few times) - any suggestions please?
Does anyone know what flamingoland is like these days?

Marina Tue 22-May-07 11:37:48

Beamish? Or have you done that already?

Loshad Tue 22-May-07 11:46:33

No haven't been for years (about 30)
Ds3 is going with school this term so it might be a good pointer to see if they will enjoy it, thanks

tortoiseSHELL Tue 22-May-07 20:52:23

Beamish is lovely!

ladygrinningsoul Tue 22-May-07 21:46:06

How about Diggerland?

Theresa Tue 22-May-07 21:51:17

how old are boys and what do they expect of a theme park? We live nr Newcastle and had a week at scarborough last year and spent a lovely day at flamingoland. Our children are 5 and 8 and will go on anything as fast as they are allowed height wise & it was great. Recent Which report suggested it was a little old fashioned but plenty to do in my opinion and nice animal bit if you get sick of rides. Can't remember price as we 'paid' with tesco vouchers but there's a website for details. Sounds like a 'top' granda!

Theresa Tue 22-May-07 21:53:15

actually just had a thought have they been to forbidden corner (near richmond or ripon, can't remember but again see website). you need to book in adbvance but it is fab for anyone over about 4 to adult. we went twice last year, see tips on another thread 9days out?) but you must book in advance

dmo Tue 22-May-07 22:03:10

4 boys
what a fab dad (grandad) takin them out
how old are the boys? will give us a better idea what to suggest

unknownrebelbang Tue 22-May-07 22:04:42

Forbidden Corner is a fabulous place.

Magna near Sheffield?

Loshad Wed 23-May-07 15:24:38

ok thanks everybody - mostly too old for diggerland. They are 13, 12 (well will be by then), 9 and 6. They've been to forbidden corner twice, and Magna - with me and with school.
Yes very sweet of my dad (he will be exhausted after it I know).

Loshad Wed 23-May-07 15:26:47

Oh, and they haven't been to many theme parks as it's my idea of h*. I have taken them to alton towers once, and legoland once, oldest has been to lightwater with his firends. Quite tempted by flamingoland, and 3/4 would love the animals bit as well.

Lilymaid Wed 23-May-07 15:32:20

My teenage DSs went to FlamingoLand last year whilst DH and I went to Castle Howard. They said it was extremely tacky and full of lardy louts! They enjoyed the big rides but I don't know what the provision for younger children is like.

tortoiseSHELL Wed 23-May-07 15:33:20

What about a day in York? We used to do that loads when we were kids in Durham - you've got the 'attractions' (Castle, Jorvik, Ghost walks, Minster etc), and also boat trips on the river, shopping (though that might not be great for 4 boys - my dd loves it!), railway museum. It's a good train journey from Durham - only 55mins or so, and they could have a meal out as well.

Yorkshire sculpture park?

manicmama Thu 24-May-07 12:02:53

If you try this site you can search for days out for kids in the UK by radius

esc Fri 25-May-07 17:27:12

Try http://www.IdeasForTheKids.com It is pretty new and still in development, but it has over 10,000 places listed for taking kids in the UK

Loshad Fri 25-May-07 22:46:47

that's a good site esc, thanks

rt11 Sat 16-Jun-07 13:53:24

saw an add in Angels and Urchins for a family day at Eton College in August which we're thinking of going to, you book tickets on thier website polkadotplay.com. Robin

jmleep Sun 24-Jun-07 12:02:27

we are going to the polka dot play event, called them up, lots of activities for everyone, like the walk on water idea - also can bring your own picnic, Aug in Windsor, anything to keep us away from legoland!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now