Talk

Advanced search

Beach on South Coast (ideally between Worthing and Southampton)

(14 Posts)
nannynick Sun 20-May-07 17:59:11

Do you and your children have a favourite beach to visit? Ideally 4 year old I care for wants a beach where there are rock pools, so she can look for crabs and other sealife.

Anyone got any suggestions on suitable places?

CODalmighty Sun 20-May-07 18:02:34

hmm think a lto of the beaches htere are sandy
west wittering is ok and has a very low tide sometimes so there are big sanndy ( warm) pools but not sure baout rock pools

HonoriaGlossop Sun 20-May-07 18:24:59

Yes, west wittering is lovely, also we love Felpham beach, which is a village near Bognor and has a HUUUUUGE sandy beach.

Sorry, don't think there are rock pools though. If you fancy a trip to the IOW there's a gorgeous beach called Steephill Cove near Ventnor which has endless and fascinating rock-pools and is such an evocative, atmospheric place (sigh). Last time we were there a couple in wedding regalia just strolled past on their way to the pub, she had crystals and shells in her hair and was carrying wild flowers.....it just seems that kind of place <sigh>

sorry, for the ramble. Hope something there helped!

nannynick Sun 20-May-07 22:24:54

Anyone been to Hayling Island? Are there any rock pools to be found there?

Wotzsaname Sun 20-May-07 22:28:52

Hayling Island is good, but very sandy, probably not many rock pools. Just watch out though s the tides come in quickly there and you can be left on a sand hill.

west wittering is very nice.

Samyblue Wed 18-Jul-07 12:47:24

How about Brighton? Because of the pepples the beach in not very crouwded, so ideal for the children to run around and the pier is great fun as well!

ChudleyMintonCanons Wed 18-Jul-07 13:54:19

Goring by Sea. Haven't been for a while but there are rocks and sandy bits depending on the tide.

mad4simon Thu 02-Aug-07 17:46:20

hi, have just read your mesage. The BEST beach for looking for crabs etc in rock pools is ELMER beach, in between climping and Bognor Regis

Tommy Thu 02-Aug-07 17:50:02

was going to suggest West Wittering.
Have never been though but my Mum raves about it. Don't know if it is rocks or sand.
Don't know why I posted really!!

kookaburra Fri 03-Aug-07 15:02:25

hayling island is sandy when the tide is out, no rock pools. no rock pools @ Goring, but a wonderful beach cafe, and the tide goes out miles and is very sandy - not really toddler friendly, nor Hayling island which is very windy with strong currents (both places lots of windsurfers)

kookaburra Fri 03-Aug-07 15:03:57

West Wittering is an excellent toddler beach, and also has a good cafe ( when I am an old(er), mad(der) lady I am going to tour the beach cafes of the south coast in a camper van - nothing nicer than an FEB by a beach...

Cammelia Fri 03-Aug-07 15:04:04

Brighton Beach completely crowded at this time of year.

West Wittering very smart as in enclave of people with tons of dosh (eg Keith Richard has a house there)

littlelapin Fri 03-Aug-07 15:11:05

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Cammelia Fri 03-Aug-07 15:16:07

Lol LL

My sister's dp's parents have a house there

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now