Talk

Advanced search

Yorkshire sculpture park

(12 Posts)
millimat Tue 24-Oct-17 08:33:08

Has anyone been?

mogloveseggs Tue 24-Oct-17 08:34:03

Yes! We like it. Expensive cafe but good for when it’s a nice day. Don’t think I’d bother in the rain though.

hahahaIdontgetit Tue 24-Oct-17 08:35:50

Yes it’s brilliant, free to get in, but don’t be fooled, car parking is expensive. £8 for more than a couple of hours.

Potcallingkettle Tue 24-Oct-17 10:29:01

Think of the £8 car parking as your entrance fee - £2 a head for a family of 4 is an absolute bargain.
It is a brilliant place to go though you'll definitely get the most out of it on a dry day. Lots of intriguing sculptures to see, a huge country park to wander through and a great cafe. The cafe is not cheap but you do not pay over the odds given the quality of the food. There is also picnic space outside so no need to use the cafe unless you want to. In the indoor parts, there are some kids activity stations.
Although there are several fixed sculptures, new ones also rotate through so there is usually something new to see. We have been there at least once a year since DC were quite small.

LoniceraJaponica Sun 29-Oct-17 14:03:04

Yes, loads of times. We live fairly near it.

Doje Sun 29-Oct-17 14:05:41

Also, if you're looking for family days out, the National Coal Mining Museum is near there too. They've got a great new playground, little nature walk, and plenty to see inside and outside. I think there's a small soft play inside too, for if it rains.

LoniceraJaponica Sun 29-Oct-17 17:19:46

YY to the NCM. It's free as well.

Funf Mon 30-Oct-17 07:49:02

Took DD as part as she was doing art at school
We thought it was rubbish, its a park with a few sculptures dotted about its like the kings got new clothes.
Mining place nearby is good

vickibee Mon 30-Oct-17 07:53:33

Good on a bright sunny day lots of exploring and walking round. Nice for a picnic

CarlHickbread Mon 30-Oct-17 07:55:14

Yep it’s brilliant! My 2 year old loved it! I bet it’s beautiful this time of year too.

It did cost us £10 to park for about 4 hours though but didn’t think it was bad for a nice day out for a family of four.

2ndSopranos Sat 11-Nov-17 17:58:36

YSP is my favourite place on earth. I was a student at the old college there so it's a very special place for me. I don't find the parking extortionate but I can't get on board with having afternoon tea in what was the SU bar!!!!

newtlover Sat 11-Nov-17 18:04:33

I absolutely love it.
The sky window (or whatever it's called) is o ne of my favourite things ever.
I think you would have to be quite dedicated and/or outdoorsy to enjoy it on a wet day though.
I don't think the parking is expensive given that it's free entry. The food is expensive though, I would bring my own if feeding a family, but then I am very parsimonious.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now