Talk

Advanced search

Day out in london for 13 year old.

(14 Posts)
emilylouise3103 Mon 09-Oct-17 19:39:52

Hiya.Im 13 years old(year 9).I’m thinking of going to london one weekend,maybe the british museum as I have been there a few times with my family and loved it but going on my own means i can take more time and have some time to myself.I would go with a friend,but none of my friend aren’t interested in museums(or any educational topics if I’m honest).I know my mum would be less skeptic although if i did go with a friend but i never go to places like this alone and i think it would be nice.I was planning on doing a little shopping and photos,and most probably getting the train there and back.But i want to know what mums think?I am going to plan my trip and I am quite sensible.If anybody has any tips or reccomendations for what i should do please comment!thanks x

emilylouise3103 Mon 09-Oct-17 19:41:00

wow sorry!so many mistakes haha.i meant sceptical not skept although!

Ricekrispie22 Mon 09-Oct-17 19:59:13

You seem mature so I would have no problem with it as long as you give your mum a very clear plan as to what you are doing and keep in regular phone contact. Good luck

Ricekrispie22 Mon 09-Oct-17 20:06:09

What are you interested in? If you like Harry Potter, you could go to the exhibition that is starting at the British Library later this month. the British Library is just next door to Kings Cross which is where the Harry Potter shop is.

MerryMarigold Mon 09-Oct-17 20:14:15

how long will it take on the train? i must say, i'd be a bit daunted if my daughter wanted to this in 4 years time! I'd just worry about dodgy blokes really. can you just have a trip with you and your mum and you call the shots, say how long you want to take, decide where to go etc. I'd be really happy to do that with my daughter and delighted she wanted to visit museums. Just not on her own.

Fekko Mon 09-Oct-17 20:16:41

What do you fancy - museum, theatre, shopping (bleugh), site seeing? What's the budget - some sites are pricey.

Fekko Mon 09-Oct-17 20:18:07

Your mum has ok-ed this, hasn't she? My 13 year old would pull a stunt like that given half the chance!

50ShadesOfEarlGrey Mon 09-Oct-17 20:20:32

Have you been to the London dungeon? Check if you need an adult with you and it is scary but it might do more to pique the interest of a friend if you feel museums are not their thing.
Also look for special deals on tickets, some of them are accessed through showing your train ticket. Includes attractions and food outlets I think.

SleightOfMind Mon 09-Oct-17 20:21:44

I would also have no problem with this. I'd be delighted. The British Museum is fantastic.
There's so much in it, you could happily spend the whole day there.
Obv the usual safety precautions apply. I'd offer to send one of my DC to meet you if I wasn't a stranger on the internet. smile

What things are you looking forward to seeing? The Egypt galleries are amazing but I love the early artefacts from the Indian subcontinent. DH gets very cross in the Romans in Britain galleries and rushes through it muttering how rubbish it is. He's a loon though.
Have fun.

emilylouise3103 Mon 09-Oct-17 20:44:39

for those asking :my budget would be,probably around £50,as the museum is free i could do a bit of shopping and what not.The train would take i’d say 45 minutes.My dad works in london so i could contact him in the case if any emergency.

MerryMarigold Mon 09-Oct-17 21:15:02

could you travel there and back with your dad? i'd just feel a bit happier about it if i were your mum.

those enthusing, would you let your 13yo do this? you can be mature but not streetwise.

Enfieldlady Mon 09-Oct-17 21:26:38

I think 13 is a bit young for an independent day out. My DD did it from the London suburbs at your age, but only to familiar places (we go to central London a lot!) with her two most sensible friends.
It also depends how used you are to central London and getting around etc - do you visit a lot with your family? It could be quite overwhelming if not.
Maybe your dad could drop you off at the Museum for a few hours in the morning and then you could meet him for lunch and do something else in the afternoon?

SleightOfMind Fri 13-Oct-17 00:37:07

We live in zone 6 and I was happy with my eldest DC to do this at your age but I work in central London, he's very sensible and he'd had lots of practice.

Agree with pp that it depends on the journey - not too bad if your father commutes I imagine - and how practised you are on public transport/familiar with London.

TBH, though, your OP sounded pretty confident so I presume you've been with friends before and this is just about whether you should go alone?

Ohwell14 Fri 13-Oct-17 00:47:57

Hire a bike and go around Hyde park

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now