Talk

Advanced search

Family cycling days out

(10 Posts)
redjumper Fri 22-Sep-17 21:41:07

I'm looking for suggestions for cycling outings with my 2 or 3 under 5s in a cycle trailer and bike seat. Preferably North of England but nationally would also be appreciated as it would be something to consider for holidays. Many thanks

2014newme Sat 23-Sep-17 07:57:43

Camel trail Cornwall. Bit far from north east though!

Ricekrispie22 Sat 23-Sep-17 10:08:05

Many canal towpaths are perfect for cycling with a bike trailer because they are wide, flat, and often paved or loose stones. There are frequent, regular places to stop in the many pubs and cafes that are dotted along the bank sides.... perfect for children who suddenly need the toilet! You also have the bonus of the passing barges and boats to keep the children entertained.
canalrivertrust.org.uk/enjoy-the-waterways/cycling/great-canal-and-river-rides

Ifailed Sat 23-Sep-17 10:10:49

check out the sustrans network, especially where they run over old railway lines as the gradients will be very gentle. Canal towpaths can be great, but can also get quite narrow in places and I'm not sure I'd want to be towing little ones so close to the water in case of an accident.

ojell Sat 14-Oct-17 18:11:27

If the Peak District counts as the North, then the Monsal Trail and the Maifold Way both have a lot going for them. There's a lovely campsite by the river at the southern end of the Manifold Way, too. From central Manchester you can cycle mostly along canal and riverside paths out to the Dunham Massey estate, and then round the deer park. Delamere Forest in Cheshire has lots of woodland cycle paths.

Funf Mon 23-Oct-17 19:28:31

North Wales coast path runs from Tallacre to Llandudno just check on line

bananafanana1 Mon 23-Oct-17 22:12:29

Gisburn forest has cycling tracks for all ages, I think it’s Yorkshire- it’s lovely

VivaLeBeaver Mon 23-Oct-17 22:14:27

There's a lot of old railway cycleways in peak,district. 'Tissington, high peak, manifold and monsal trail. All very good, and flat.

heron98 Fri 03-Nov-17 11:38:03

Lots of the trail centres owned by the Forestry Commission have good off road tracks and hire trailers etc.

Gisburn is in Lancashire (just!), I am not sure what they have in tems of bikes.

Grizedale in the S Lakes has trailers for hire, possibly also Whinlatter in N Lakes, and Dalby Forest in the North York Moors.

lizsparkles Fri 08-Dec-17 21:36:11

The Hills Killer - hills on the Isle of Wight would be a great place for cycling. But not sure how suitable it is for family. You might have to do more research.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: