Talk

Advanced search

Harry Potter Studios

(25 Posts)
MrsBetfair Fri 08-Sep-17 19:39:49

Am planning a trip to the Harry Potter studios. There is advice on reviews about taking a picnic as food can be expensive and the queues long.

If anyone has done this can I ask if you had to carry your picnic around with you or if you can leave it in your car (or the cloakroom) and get it when you're ready? Can't see this mentioned in any of the reviews!

TIA

spacefrog35 Fri 08-Sep-17 19:44:34

Take it with you. There's not really an option to come out and go back in.

NashvilleQueen Fri 08-Sep-17 19:45:26

It's expensive but in my view it's a cracking day out. Far better than most visitor experiences. We were there four hours but could easily have managed a full day.

MrsBetfair Fri 08-Sep-17 19:45:46

Thanks - seems a bit of a pain to have to lug it around but better to know in advance I guess!

MrsBetfair Fri 08-Sep-17 19:48:04

Sorry, just saw your reply NQ. We plan to get Butterbeer/snacks etc there (plus hit the gift shop!) but just thought we'd be as happy to eat sandwiches I've made as ones bought there.

sluj Fri 08-Sep-17 19:48:14

To he honest I didn't find the queues or the food outrageous. Just dont go for 3 courses and perhaps a snack for when you are going round. You will love it.

The gift shop is expensive though so you might have to manage expectations

Mol1628 Fri 08-Sep-17 19:51:33

You'll need to take it with you you can't go back out. We bought food at the cafe though, it wasn't too badly priced considering, and saved having to carry loads of food around. We went on a busy weekend too and we weren't queuing that long it was all well managed.

MrsBetfair Fri 08-Sep-17 20:26:56

Thanks - that's reassuring. We are fully prepared for gift shop prices - kids have been saving for a while!!

LoniceraJaponica Mon 11-Sep-17 19:45:03

Just buy one butterbeer between you to start with. It is utterly revolting (and expensive). Get everyone to taste it before you throw it away buy any more.

We were there three weeks ago and you definitely can't go back for your food. We also went 4 years ago, and the food was much nicer then, so taking a picnic is a good idea.

Get there early because they now check all bags very thoroughly and there is quite a queue to get in.

Mol1628 Tue 12-Sep-17 07:19:48

Contrary to what a lot of people say I absolutely loved my butterbeer!

Justdontknow4321 Tue 12-Sep-17 19:42:52

I also recommend one butter beer as it's not very nice lol
When I went I didn't bother taking a pack lunch but then I wasn't taking kids. I bought some food there and I don't remember it's being over exspensive for we're you are.
The qs wasn't that bad when I went either, the only big q I remember was the one to actually get into the place

2ndSopranos Sun 17-Sep-17 09:14:56

We're off there in a couple of weeks. How long before your slot do you recommend getting there? We're staying in a hotel the night before so a picnic might not be an option! What's the food like?

keeponworking Sun 17-Sep-17 09:26:04

What IS a butterbeer? Anyone?!?

sluj Sun 17-Sep-17 10:05:08

I've no idea but I love it. I've had it in universal and Harry Potter studios several times. It's some kind of fizzy soft drink with something like dream topping on it.
Buy one and see if you like it first. If I remember right you can buy it in a disposable plastic cup or pay more for a reusable branded cup.
Judging from the responses here it seems to be a marmite drink.

PS In universal they do a frozen slush puppy type version- delicious!

sluj Sun 17-Sep-17 10:12:08

In terms of queuing you are allowed to join the short entry queue by the bouncer and it seems to vary depending on how busy it is. I got there at 2 for a 3 o'clock tour once and was allowed to go in straight away.

In the entrance foyer before you go in there is a cafe, toilets and entry to the gift shop (which is also where you exit). There are plenty of HP stills and objects to look at before you go in including the chess pieces in the car park.

I would say get there as early as you can and hype yourself up on the foyer offerings. If you can't wait and your time slot has arrived, ask the person controlling the entry queue if you can join. 🦅

Hulababy Sun 17-Sep-17 10:18:32

We've been twice and eaten there both times. Queues weren't bad at all and the food was fairly standard in terms of cost and value for that kind of place. I don't remember any issues regarding the food at all; well we returned and ate there again. I couldn't be gaffes with carrying food with me unless I really had to.
Dd loves butterbeer so she had that both times too. It's very sweet and some people aren't keen. I don't mind it. Dd loves it.

Fantastic day out for a Potter fan. We spent hours here both times.

Hulababy Sun 17-Sep-17 10:23:10

We've had it in the UK and the US a few times too. Butterbeer seems to be based on American Cream soda with some additions. The foam they out on top has a creamy butterscotch type taste.

00100001 Sun 17-Sep-17 10:33:05

THE GIFT SHOP

No. Really. Manage expectations. It's the most expensive gift shop you will ever see.

Wands are £30+
kids t-shirt are around £20
The smallest box if sweets are £4.95, chocolate frogs are £8.95
Cuddly toys can be £20+

Check the prices online before going.

Buttermere I'd expensive and I don't know anyone that enjoyed it. It's very very sweet. I would suggest sharing one and see how it goes down before buying one each. It's a really expensive way to waste money.

The actual tour is incredible though. Lots of details. Talk to the staff a lot, they will point out things you could easily miss smile

00100001 Sun 17-Sep-17 10:33:34

Butterbeer is expensive *

2ndSopranos Sun 17-Sep-17 11:15:24

This is so helpful; thank you!

We are taking our dds as a surprise - Dd1 is a massive HP fan and I can't wait to tell them!

So if we have a 9.30 slot what time do you reckon we should get there?

00100001 Sun 17-Sep-17 11:34:11

Maybe 9.15 to collect tickets?

They won't let you in early, there is a cafe at the entrance though.

They have a set amount of people go through at any one time. So the queues are never horrendous.

Also if it is near a little ones birthday, get to the front of the bit where the great Hall doors are. They normally get birthday kids to open them smile

00100001 Sun 17-Sep-17 13:10:02

Also ask for the Passport for the kids if they don't give you one at the door.

They have embossing stamps dotted around.

Top top, Press hard! grin

2ndSopranos Sun 17-Sep-17 17:05:33

We're actually going two days before Dd1's birthday! They've got no idea smile

Good tips there thanks!

catsanddogsfightless Mon 16-Oct-17 18:06:57

HP World is wonderful!!!! I got to push open the doors to the Great Hall as I went on my birthday. There were 4 birthdays that day but as an adult i was secretly thrilled although played it cool!

The gift shop is excellent but pricey as you'd expect there.

The butterbeer is very foamy and tastes like a cream soda. I liked it but DH not so much so I got to finish his. If you can take some food with you I would as their food options are limited. We took apples, snacks and sweets with us.

The entrance and route is kind of a one way system so when you leave one room you as ushered into the next room and it seemed to be the unspoken thing that you don't walk backwards to previously visited rooms. I really enjoyed the animatronic rooms with the owls and Hagrid and the Dementors etc.

It was worth every penny. I went nearly 3 years ago and I would definitely go there again.

You cannot go back to your cars after admittance. Within the compound of the studios there is a picnic area that is within the boundary of the venue. Some undercover seating and some open air seating.

Enjoy your day out!

Expelliamus!!!!

2014newme Tue 17-Oct-17 11:20:51

We went this weekend for our children birthday. It is very good. We git there an hour before, had a coffee and a browse in the shop. Shop was rammed at the end so am glad we looked while it was quiet

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: