Talk

Advanced search

Kew Gardens

(8 Posts)
teabag20048 Mon 29-May-17 08:45:51

My ds is 12 and is interested in gardening, was thinking Kew Gardens could be a good day out/something different to see? Anyone been? Thanks

GinGeum Mon 29-May-17 09:02:32

I went in the Easter hols. Loved it! I'd imagine it would be even better now as more flowers will be out. Gardeners World magazine had a 2for1 card in the May edition - might be worth seeing if there's still a copy in the shops?

teabag20048 Mon 29-May-17 10:06:04

Oh thanks. I think mil gets that magazine might see if she's still got it. Is there anything to do for an 8 + 12 year old?

2014newme Mon 29-May-17 21:10:49

Yes, it's huge though so plan the highlights you want to do eg glasshouses, tree top walkway, etc. We were there all day and did one corner of the map!
Kids are free with blue Peter badge. If you apply now you would have it by summer.

breadwidow Mon 29-May-17 21:18:16

Went to Kew with the kids today, using the gardener's world 241 card (bought magazine just to get it - you can order the may issue to get it still but beware the card is not valid at Kew during July & August).

Anyway, my kids are much younger (2 &5) but they loved it, as did me and DH so I'm feeling v smug as DH thought it was a crap idea for a family day out and I had Torquay his arm!

Anyway, there's a few kids things which I think would appeal to a 12 year old as well as younger like a rather tricky log walk assault course which my 5 year old enjoyed but struggled with. I also saw some craft and learning activities advertised that were for older kids. But if she likes plants etc just looking round the place will interest her - I'm not into gardening but I loved it & learned quite a bit. It's huge as well, much bigger than I expected so I cannot imagine it feeling crowded. I will be going back

breadwidow Mon 29-May-17 21:19:05

Torquay his arm? I mean twist!

teabag20048 Fri 02-Jun-17 08:55:25

Oh great, that will go on our days out list. Thanks everyone.

Mair1234 Tue 13-Jun-17 16:29:27

Not sure where you're based or whether it's something your 12yo would be keen on but at the NEC in Birmingham this weekend there's the BBC Gardeners World show. Kids go free on sunday (well, on Littlebird they do anyway!) and they've wrapped the Good Food show into it too. Slightly different idea to throw in to the mix anyway !

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now