Talk

Advanced search

London dungeons or tower of London?

(22 Posts)
pinkmagic1 Tue 25-Apr-17 19:33:39

I am taking the dc to London for the day next month and considering going to the London dungeons or Tower of London.
Has anyone been to both and which would you recommend? Also are the dungeons really scary? I know my 10 year old would love it but my 12 year old is a bit of a wuss!

nancy75 Tue 25-Apr-17 19:36:09

Tower is great Dungeon are really cheesy and I thought quite rubbish. Dd found it scary & boring in equal measure!

MirriMazDuur Tue 25-Apr-17 19:38:50

The dungeons are rubbish now. You used to be able to go in and walk around for as long as you liked, now it's a tour and you get shoved through really quickly.

I love the tower.

NetballHoop Tue 25-Apr-17 19:39:27

Tower every time. If you see this Beefeater then join his tour: youtu.be/DeiW_bWZ2Is

Gowgirl Tue 25-Apr-17 19:40:37

The new dungeons are rubbish, do the tower!

Judashascomeintosomemoney Tue 25-Apr-17 19:44:46

Tower definitely, for the architecture and the history obvs and then you can also see Tower Bridge. If you've got time The Monument (to the Great fire) and Pysding Lane are within walking distance. Lots of other interesting places to go see in The City too, all walkable, if you're interested and have time on the day.

sleepingdragons Tue 25-Apr-17 19:44:50

YY to the Tower. If you want gruesome tell them what happened at the tower!

Judashascomeintosomemoney Tue 25-Apr-17 19:45:26

Pudding Lane obvs!

BlondeBecky1983 Tue 25-Apr-17 19:50:30

Tower without a doubt! The dungeon is a manufactured tourist attraction, the Tower is real!

pinkmagic1 Tue 25-Apr-17 19:50:39

Sounds like we will be going to the Tower then! Thanks everyone.

donajimena Tue 25-Apr-17 19:55:29

I loved the London dungeons blush
I had no idea what it was going to be like. Took my 6 year old and 8 year old. It took ages to get my 6 year old back in his own bed grin

Sandsnake Tue 25-Apr-17 19:56:38

I'd also recommend the Tower. I think you can get 2 for 1 entry on the train 2 for 1 voucher books they do (presuming you travel in by train).

Floralnomad Tue 25-Apr-17 19:59:39

They are totally different , the Tower is history , the dungeons are manufactured 'entertainment' , that is actually not very entertaining .

elQuintoConyo Tue 25-Apr-17 20:03:19

Tower Tower Tower.

Went to the dungeons a couple of years ago, it was shit.

The Tower is amazing. I feel very small and insignificant at the Tower - in a good way. I mean, I'm in awe of its history and it spooks me. I'd love to take my 5yo there but will wait until he's much older and I have money grin

MaudLyn Tue 25-Apr-17 20:06:46

Definitely the Tower.

littleoldladywho Tue 25-Apr-17 20:11:22

Depends what you are looking for. Tower is good if your kids are into history and like poking round old buildings and lining up to see jewelry. If they are more 'entertain me' then the Dungeons are great as long as they aren't too scaredy. I took a group of ten 12-16yos to both, and while they enjoyed the Tower, they went wild for the blooming Dungeons. The silly special effects combined with the 'show' and the interactive nature of the Dungeons really appealed to them.

I preferred the Tower, but I am a middle aged woman who likes to potter about old buildings and eat ice creams. They really enjoyed the 'ride' aspects, and the mazes, and the special effects. Cheesy, yes, absolutely entertainment, yes, telling stories of the past, yes. Dark, yes, scary, yes.
No Beefeaters around at all for the three hours we were at the Tower.

If I ask them now what the best bit of the trip was, they all say Dungeons lol. Kids have crap taste.

AndNoneForGretchenWieners Tue 25-Apr-17 20:15:08

We had that Beefeater as our guide when we went a couple of weeks ago! He's fab. I agree the Tower is a great day out.

Avebury Tue 25-Apr-17 20:22:34

If you have time go and walk over Tower Bridge - it has a glass floor and it's ace!

noramum Thu 27-Apr-17 12:34:03

If you go to the Tower go the the crown jewels first. We went after Christmas and didn't had to wait at all (around 10.30ish). By 1.30-2pm the queue was enormous.

NotCitrus Thu 27-Apr-17 13:25:06

Tower. Dungeons when they're old enough to go round by themselves so you don't have to.

Hint - get a packed lunch or buy from the cafe, eat it while in the queue for the Crown Jewels - which goes faster than you think. I took my 8 and 4yos there as they wanted to see the Crown Jewels (thanks, Minecraft) and they found the whole place impressive, especially the Mint. Will go again when I can actually read more of the bits about the history.

BigGreenOlives Thu 27-Apr-17 13:27:21

Check when the free guided tours are at The Tower & you'll learn so much. Fine for children, not dry at all.

oklumberjack Thu 27-Apr-17 13:33:54

My two were 8 and 6 when we did the Tower. They loved it.

We went really early and the Beefeater tipped us to head straight for the Crown Jewels. I thought they might might it dull but they were in awe. We also got caught up in some kind of outside 'performance' (horrible histories style) about an attempt to steal the Crown Jewels in 1654 or something. That was huge fun. It was tiring but they generally loved all the history of it - the huge armour etc.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now