Talk

Advanced search

Harry Potter practical advice

(29 Posts)
Achoopichu Sun 23-Apr-17 20:17:08

I'm travelling from up north to London for 3 nights with 2ds's, and thought we'd go to Watford to do HP first before checking in the London hotel. Should get there for 12.30. Does anyone know how much left luggage costs? Will we have enough time to make the most of it if we only get there after lunch? It will be a Wednesday in summer hols. I'm thinking will book a late tour in case our train is late.

Is ir best to do the tour first or last? Is there plenty of opportunity to wander around as well as the tour?

Thanks!

bigchris Sun 23-Apr-17 20:18:16

Tour first, wander around afterwards , you can spend hours looking in the giftshop and marvelling at the prices

Achoopichu Sun 23-Apr-17 20:19:23

Hmmm might need to temporarily lose my credit card smile

PerspicaciaTick Sun 23-Apr-17 20:19:50

The WB website say that they have a cloakroom where bags can be left for free during your visit. I suppose it may depend on whether you are planning to turn up with a moderate size backpack each or a selection of huge suitcases.

hugoagogo Sun 23-Apr-17 20:20:29

Have they changed it? When we went it was all just wander around avoid people taking selfies

PerspicaciaTick Sun 23-Apr-17 20:21:19

Only the first, short section is a formal tour as such. Once you leave the Hogwarts Hall you are free to wander where you will and spend as much time in each area as you want.

Achoopichu Sun 23-Apr-17 20:21:31

If tour is best first, might save for last day coming home so not as much risk of train delay

I dont want to waste a London day doing HP if that makes sense

Achoopichu Sun 23-Apr-17 20:22:25

I will have one biggish suitcase

PerspicaciaTick Sun 23-Apr-17 20:23:23

Some people claim to storm through in two hours, other to have spent all day until late into the night. Most people seem to spend 4-6 hours going around.

LIZS Sun 23-Apr-17 20:23:30

There isn't really anywhere to wander except in the themed shop or cafe. Exhibits are all within the tour (bit of a misnomer as only the first section inside the great hall is guided and access time restricted). Beyond you can take your time and looking round can take 2 hours plus.

Earlybird Sun 23-Apr-17 20:24:11

If at all practical, I'd drop your cases at the London hotel first. You really don't want to be dragging cases onto the train to Watford, walking to the studio coach, getting off coach and walking into studio dragging cases, etc.

It is not a difficult trip from London (at all), but much nicer not to be loaded down with luggage. Also iirc, the studio is open quite late in the summer (maybe 21.00?), so you'll have plenty of time to see everything, even if you arrive mid afternoon.

PerspicaciaTick Sun 23-Apr-17 20:24:17

Maybe call the visitor services team 0345 084 0900 and ask about luggage?

hugoagogo Sun 23-Apr-17 20:24:47

That's how I remember it too perscipacia
But now there is the forbidden forest too <excited>

JennyOnAPlate Sun 23-Apr-17 20:25:55

The tour is just for the beginning bit (not optional) and then you wander where you like. We've been twice and totalled about 4 hours including a stop for lunch. I would have been there for much longer if it wasn't for young dc though!

Achoopichu Sun 23-Apr-17 20:26:12

Thanks for that, I think I will give them a ring . I didn't realise it opened so late.

PerspicaciaTick Sun 23-Apr-17 20:26:37

hugoagogo - I can't believe I am actually planning a return visit especially for the forest. I have been well and truly bitten by a very large spider the bug.

QueenDork Sun 23-Apr-17 20:27:15

I think you have misunderstood; there's not a specific tour. When it's your time slot, there's an intro section and then when they let you into the studio you can wander around as much as you want for the rest of the day.

QueenDork Sun 23-Apr-17 20:28:18

Sorry, I see now that several others have said the same while I was reading the thread!

rollonthesummer Sun 23-Apr-17 20:31:54

If the entry times are staggered, does that help stop it getting too busy?!

HP in Florida at Universal is totally amazing but it was so busy-queues coming out of every (tiny) shop door and the 'streets' jam-packed--totally shoulder to shoulder--which made it really hard to actually see anything.

PerspicaciaTick Sun 23-Apr-17 20:41:47

Entry times are staggered, and the tickets for each entry time are pre-booked. So I think WB are on top of the numbers of people going through as they never have more than a certain number of people going in at a certain time.

QueenDork Sun 23-Apr-17 20:57:26

It does get busy, but not intolerably so and never as you describe it being in Florida. It's quieter first thing in the morning and gets busier through the day as more people arrive (you are not limited to staying a certain number of hours so most people spend quite a while there). It thins out a bit in the evening again.

Achoopichu Sun 23-Apr-17 21:11:26

Thanks all this has been really helpful

Earlybird Sun 23-Apr-17 21:15:20

rollonthesummer - isn't HP in Florida an amusement park with rides, etc.? Very different to the studio tour, which is a walk through the sets used for filming the movies.

Iamastonished Mon 01-May-17 22:06:10

The WB Studios is nothing like the HP stuff in Florida. Both are equally awesome, and the attention to detail is staggering. The WB Studios are the actual film sets and props used for making the films, not a theme park. Small children would find it rather boring.

rollonthesummer Mon 01-May-17 22:30:32

rollonthesummer - isn't HP in Florida an amusement park with rides, etc.?

No, not really. There is one ride in Universal-the Escape from Gringotts, but the rest is all Diagon Alley /Knockturn Alley streets to walk through, with shops etc

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now