Talk

Advanced search

London afternoon tea

(34 Posts)
freethebiscuit Sat 01-Apr-17 19:46:27

Am meeting up with my mum in London soon and want to have a lovely, special afternoon tea. Something quite luxurious and traditional but don't know if by thinking of the obvious places (basically first page of google) I'm missing out on a little diamond! I've been to Claridges and the Langham in the past and loved both- Claridges more so I think -my mum has been to neither and want to pick somewhere amazing for her. Thanks brewcakesmile

LadyOrangutan Sat 01-Apr-17 19:53:04

The Dorchester is my absolute favourite afternoon tea in London.

Avoid the Ritz - It's packed, and you feel like you're on a conveyor belt.

228agreenend Sat 01-Apr-17 19:54:34

Look on Groupon. They have a lot of good deals for afternoon teas.

freethebiscuit Sat 01-Apr-17 19:59:28

@ladyorangutan thanks- I had looked at the Ritz- saved me there

LadyOrangutan Sat 01-Apr-17 20:46:39

Oh good @freethebiscuit Glad to have helped!
It was really awful. Tables were so close together that the waiter knocked our teapot when pouring tea for the table beside us. And they refused to let us take home the cakes that we hadn't touched in case we didn't store them properly and made ourselves ill and blamed them!
You had to queue to take your table with everyone else in the same time slot as you.

GeekyWombat Sat 01-Apr-17 20:54:46

Maybe not traditional enough, but if you don't come to London often how about an afternoon tea river cruise?

I took my sister on this one with Bateaux London (they're ace, we also did DF birthday jazz cruise dinner) and it was lovely. If you fancy it, it's worth getting a window seat though because the view is a great part of the fun (no touristy voice overs or anything, just stunning views of the city).

www.bateauxlondon.com/thames-river-cruises/afternoon-tea-cruises

I know there's an afternoon tea you can do on The Shard I understand, I really want to do that but haven't done it yet.

FinallyHere Sat 01-Apr-17 20:58:39

Another vote for the Dorchester. Sublime.

hilbil21 Sat 01-Apr-17 21:00:12

We went on the b bakery afternoon tea tour on a red double decker it takes you round the sights it was brilliant

SaigonSaigon Sat 01-Apr-17 21:00:32

I love Claridges personally. The best jam ever!!

MrsNuckyThompson Sat 01-Apr-17 21:01:49

I always think Claridges is perfect.

CointreauVersial Sat 01-Apr-17 21:02:02

Ooh, great timing for this thread - I was researching exactly this today, looking for somewhere to take 80yo DSM. So far I've narrowed it down to:

Sanderson Hotel - they do a rather beautiful-looking Alice in Wonderland tea
Sketch - cool restaurant, much instagrammed
The Shard - but reviews are mixed
The Goring Hotel - classic tea, gets excellent reviews.

Leaning towards the last one, because I think it would appeal most to DSM, but would love to hear from anyone with any recommendations.

Princesspond Sat 01-Apr-17 21:05:20

I'd have thought Claridges, maybe The Sanderson. BB bakery itself is quite small and prob not special but they do the bus tour afternoon tea and even a boat one I think which are different but maybe not special enough. Fortnums maybe? But again might not be special enough.

GeekyWombat Sat 01-Apr-17 21:37:50

If anyone has done / is doing the Alice in Wonderland afternoon tea I would love to know what people think. I'm booked for the Beauty and the Beast one soon and I am very excited!

CeciledeVolanges Sat 01-Apr-17 21:53:00

Bea's of Bloomsbury smile

LadyOrangutan Sat 01-Apr-17 21:59:55

@cointreauVersial I've been to the Goring too. It's lovely. The staff were fab, But as far as I remember, lots of steps. You might want to check about ease of access for your 80 DSM if she needs any help.

ImYourMama Sat 01-Apr-17 22:01:25

Another vote for claridges

noeuf Sat 01-Apr-17 22:05:57

I didn't like the Sanderson at all, it was really expensive and didn't feel very interesting tbh.

Loved the pret a porter tea at the Berkeley

ivykaty44 Sat 01-Apr-17 22:06:39

Tell me more about Claridges, what happens etc etc
I had heard Ritz was not great, so trued F&M and really enjoyed the tea, they gave us beautiful boxes to take home untouched treats and refilled are plates as often as we asked. There was a selection of about 100 teas and tables were not close together. A pianist played - so should i try Claridges will it be better?

Rolypoly Sat 01-Apr-17 22:09:44

I had a lovely afternnon tea at the British Museum restaurant, the posh one at the top of the staircase in the courtyard. I've been a couple of times and each time the staff are so pleasant and attentive. The portions are generous,too.

ChiefClerkDrumknott Sat 01-Apr-17 22:15:30

Claridges is the best 😎 Fortnum's does the most gorgeous sandwiches, mind you. Or perhaps try the Connaught?

rabbitmummy Sat 01-Apr-17 22:17:31

The Lanesborough was lovely

Nellooo Sat 01-Apr-17 22:18:21

Agree that The Ritz is The Pitz for tea.

You can't beat Claridges for proper old fashioned high tea, but I've also had lovely afternoon tea at Browns, The Dorchester and Fortnum and Mason.

MrsNuckyThompson Sat 01-Apr-17 22:27:12

ivykaty - it's just so lovely at claridges. The setting is very opulent and sort of 1920s in feel. They have massive fresh flower arrangements and usually have a pianist or harpist tinkling in the background. The service is so professional and lovely, and the food is just classic, elegant and scrumptious. I just think it is exactly what afternoon tea should be (and it makes me dream of being a Lady Mary type!).

applecatchers36 Sat 01-Apr-17 22:37:01

www.athenaeumhotel.com/restaurant-bar/afternoon-tea/

Antheneum does a really good afternoon tea, lovely hotel near Green Park, was award winning, very plush setting, a real treat

ShadowHarts Sat 01-Apr-17 23:05:59

I was about to say the Atheneum, my all time favourite and more than one round of sandwiches is offered! (Always a plus in my book...)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now