Talk

Advanced search

Day out recommendation between Bakewell and Pickering

(13 Posts)
Winifredgoose Sun 12-Mar-17 17:53:55

Hi, we are having a holiday at Easter split between The Peak District and The North Yorkshire Moors. I don't know the area in between at all well, and would love any recommendations for a nice place to spend the day between the two. We have 2 dcs age 3 and 6. We would be interested in most things including museums(a shame 3 year old can't go down the mine at the National mining museum), zoos etc, walks (especially if there is a nice pub at the end of it), or national trust place/castles). Also, if anyone could recommend similar for a stop on the way home York to London, that would be amazing too.
Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Winifredgoose Sun 12-Mar-17 18:55:49

Shameless bump

heron98 Mon 13-Mar-17 15:34:03

how about:

national railway museum in York
Brimham rocks near Blubberhouses (great for climbing and running around)
the Forbidden Corner near Leyburn
Flamingo Land (zoo and rides)
Eureka museum for kids in Halifax
Harlow Carr gardens in Harrogate
Mother Shipton's Cave in Knaresborough
Stump Cross Caverns near Pateley Bridge

Winifredgoose Mon 13-Mar-17 18:52:39

Thanks so much Heron. I will look at all of these.

fusspot66 Mon 13-Mar-17 18:53:57

Yorkshire Sculpture Park

ineedamoreadultieradult Mon 13-Mar-17 18:55:55

Forbidden Corner is excellent you have to book in advance though. The Heights of Abraham and Gullivers Kingdon are near Bakewell rather than on the journey to Pickering but also very good for kids.

ftw Mon 13-Mar-17 19:03:36

There's loads of nice days out in York but traffic can be horrendous.

Look at the castle museum, the chocolate experience thingie, the Minster, the city walls, river cruises.

Don't go to the forbidden corner with a little kid.

Might be a bit out your way but Bolton Abbey or Fountains Abbey are nice. There are steam trains running at Bolton Abbey during Easter usually. And Billy Bob's diner/play barns for lunch and play.

Winifredgoose Mon 13-Mar-17 19:12:12

Thanks for all the suggestions. It is hard to research places to go when the journey covers so many possible towns/counties. I am intrigued to see what the Forbidden corner is!!

Winifredgoose Mon 13-Mar-17 19:20:30

I've just looked up the Forbidden Corner, sounds great, buy maybe too scary for a three year old who gets scared easily. My six year old would love it.
We will visit York during our week on Yorkshire. I'm really excited as have never been there.
Eureka looks good. Will look up all other places. Have lots to be getting on with!!

ineedamoreadultieradult Mon 13-Mar-17 19:24:16

I forgot about Yorkshire Wildlife Park

Winifredgoose Mon 13-Mar-17 19:24:59

Brimham Rocks look amazing. Can't belive I've never seen a picture of them.
Thanks for all these great suggestions.

BikeRunSki Mon 13-Mar-17 19:28:05

Yorkshire Sculpture Park if it's not raining. Eureka, Magna or Royal Armouries in bad weather.
I hate Forbidden Corner, and it would freak me out going with a 3 yo. It's also not really between Bakewell and Pickering.

Iamastonished Fri 17-Mar-17 22:09:05

Yorkshire Wildlife Park is brilliant. It should be easier to get to now that there is a new link road from the M18.

If you go to York I suggest that you use one of the the park and rides. Traffic in York is a pain, and parking is very expensive.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now