Talk

Advanced search

Science Museum with 7 and 4 year old (and general London trip advice)

(11 Posts)
mayathebee Sun 05-Feb-17 10:36:45

Hi,

we are taking DC (7 and 4) to London for half term and we are planning a day out at the Science Museum. Our half term is 20th - 24th which I think is the week after half term for schools in London so I'm hoping it will be a bit quieter but we are planning to be there at opening time to avoid the queues anyway. I've been looking at the website and there is so much to do but I can't decide whether to book any of the bits you pay for. Has anyone been and can recommend anything?

I'd pay for the IMAX if the under the sea film was on but I think its only on the Wednesday which is the one afternoon we can't do (we are off to Matilda instead). Is the Wonderlab good for this age?

We are also planning on doing Big Ben, London Eye, boat trip, HMS Belfast, Sky Gardens and Coram's Field for a play if the weather is good. Is there anything we've missed that's a must do at this age (we went to the palace, NHM and Tate Modern last year)? Or anything you'd advise missing off our list? We are staying in Vauxhall if that helps.

citykat Sun 05-Feb-17 15:10:27

The new interactive bit at Science Museum is supposed to be fab. I think you have to pay and as that is thd but aimed at younger children I would book and pay for that. Corams is nice but I wouldn't go there specially - only if in that area anyway. There's a playground next to london eye. London private schools are off that week so you won't have the place to yourself.

ActuallyThatsSUPREMECommander Sun 05-Feb-17 15:17:10

I agree with citykat-if this is a rare trip to London then don't bother with Coram Fields. Playground next to the Eye is nice, and you can normally find places for DC to run around and let off steam near most attractions - there's some open spaces near the Belfast.

mayathebee Sun 05-Feb-17 15:36:58

Thanks, I'll knock Coram's Fields off the list then but leave the science museum on for now. We only get down to London every 12-18 months so I'm trying to make the most of the visit without tiring the kids out.

NotCitrus Sun 05-Feb-17 15:38:01

Vauxhall City Farm and the Teahouse in Vauxhall Gardens are nice. You could also go to Battersea Park - the Children's Zoo has a huge playground perfect for those ages as the whole place is enclosed, or there's the free playground which has Go Ape trails as well. Wouldnt go out of your way to Corams Fields.

The new Wonderlab is supposed to be fab and well worth it according to friends, but the Garden in the basement is good for young children and next to the Bubble Show. Pattern Pod on the ground floor is fun. The history of the items at home is good but will make you feel old.

mayathebee Sun 05-Feb-17 15:40:05

Thanks NotCitrus, Vauxhall gardens will be ideal for Monday afternoon. We should be checked in and settled by lunchtime but I don't want to do too much on our first day.

MyGastIsFlabbered Sun 05-Feb-17 15:59:44

I'm just back from a weekend in London with my boys, they're 7 (birthday today) and 4. Yesterday was spent at the Natural History Museum. Today we did the London Eye and the Aquarium both of which my boys loved. I wanted to take them to the Science Museum but DS1 preferred to do the eye and aquarium and as it was his birthday weekend he was allowed to choose.

originalmavis Sun 05-Feb-17 16:05:54

Get to the museum before opening. It's quieter first thing and make a beeline for the kids interactive area. It will be busy - it always is! It's not far from Kensington gardens.

Hop on a bus (just an ordinary one, not a your bus) that will take you to big Ben and you can toddle through and see Buckingham palace and Downing Street if you don't mind a walk.

mayathebee Sun 05-Feb-17 16:10:42

Hope they had a great time MyGastIsFlabbered (love the name btw). We did the London Eye last year and they loved it so much they have demanded to do it again this year. To be honest, the DC just want to do exactly what we did last year but I'm trying to do one or two new things on this trip. I looked at the aquarium but we have a fab aquarium and a sea life centre near us and there is so much to do in London so I've left it out this year. It looks good though.

MyGastIsFlabbered Sun 05-Feb-17 16:19:34

Yes the boys loved all of it. We've got a Sealife Centre here in Brighton too which the boys love but the London one blows it out of the water, it really is impressive (they have penguins!) Although they're refurbishing a lot of it at the moment so we're planning on going back when it's all open.

Hyperhypermum Wed 15-Feb-17 22:32:38

I agree, there are better open spaces in London than Corams Fields. For example, the Princess Diana Playground in Hyde Park, or Hyde Park itself for that matter. Not too far from the Science Museum either.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I didn't think you could go inside Big Ben? Another suggestion is Tower Bridge Experience - great views and glass floor! I believe you can still get a combo ticket to climb The Monument but that might be a bit much for the 4yo. Both attractions are a short walk from the Sky Garden.

Does your boat trip go to Greenwich? If so, it's well worth stopping off - Cutty Sark, free Maritime Museum and lovely Greenwich Park with great views over London from the top of the hill by the Observatory.

Whatever you decide, enjoysmile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now