Talk

Advanced search

Whinlatter or Grizedale

(20 Posts)
maisybobbins Wed 28-Dec-16 22:29:45

Anyone familiar with these two places? We have DD age 8 on a bike and dd age 4 on balance bike. Looking for somewhere lovely we can take them to ride their bikes and have a nice lunch. Which do you think would suit us best?

willdoitinaminute Wed 28-Dec-16 22:36:11

Grizedale has more suitable walks for bikes, and the cafe is much bigger. Also closer to local pubs for a meal.

Giselaw Wed 28-Dec-16 22:38:46

I misread and thought this was the baby name threat and clicked thinking why just why would you name your child Grizedale but more importantly, would a Whinlatter be a Winnie or a Latte grin

Giselaw Wed 28-Dec-16 22:39:16

Thread though threat seems appropriate too smile

PossumInAPearTree Wed 28-Dec-16 22:40:03

Grizedale is nicer I reckon.

maisybobbins Wed 28-Dec-16 22:41:06

Thanks willdo. Think Grizedale might win. On website it looks as though there are no easy bike trails though. But I guess we can just do the flat bits and then head for the cafe.

PossumInAPearTree Wed 28-Dec-16 22:42:26

Though it depends where you are. If you're in Keswick I would say grizedsle isn't that much better that it's worth going to over whinlatter. But if equal distance then grizedale.

PossumInAPearTree Wed 28-Dec-16 22:44:14

At grizedale you could park at one of the smaller car parks on the way to the visitor centre and do flatter tracks. Then drive to the visitor centre. I'm fairly sure the parking charge will cover you for all car parks.

maisybobbins Wed 28-Dec-16 22:45:01

Giselaw gringringrinlove that!! Yep I can actually imagine that as a name thread!

maisybobbins Wed 28-Dec-16 22:46:42

Top tips. Grizedale it is, thanks possum

PossumInAPearTree Wed 28-Dec-16 22:47:59

Moor top might be quite a good car park. I've walked from there to the visitor centre and there was quite a bit of flat before it went downhill after s few miles to the visitor centre. So you couldodo the flatter bit and turn back.

TallulahBetty Wed 28-Dec-16 22:49:04

<Hoped this was a baby name thread>

<Shuts door on way out>

JeffreySadsacIsUnwell Wed 28-Dec-16 22:54:26

Really glad I wasn't the only one who misread this as a baby names thread! I misread the title as a choice of "Whinelater" or "Grizelder" and thought the OP either had a really cruel streak or was a Brothers Grimm fan..

Ok, off to bed now. Have fun wherever you go, OP!

Chocolateteabag Thu 29-Dec-16 00:45:55

Grizedale really not great for your youngest! There are no flat bits without some serious hills - I would seriously reconsider!

Runningissimple Thu 29-Dec-16 00:56:09

Grizedale. Whinlatter is gorgeous but not suitable for young children in terms or cycling. The tracks are proper mountain bike tracks. Grizedale is lovely with wide, smooth tracks more suitable for youngsters and wimps like me

Runningissimple Thu 29-Dec-16 00:57:05

In terms OF cycling!!!

maisybobbins Thu 29-Dec-16 23:55:06

We actually wimped out of both and ended up at brockhole instead! Think tree top nets suited us better than hard core cycling. Well any kind of cycling.

PossumInAPearTree Fri 30-Dec-16 06:26:53

Have never been to brockhole but the nets sound good. I am dc less now as grown up and think it would be a bit odd going without kids! Tempting though! grin

heron98 Wed 04-Jan-17 16:17:57

Both are great but I would say Grizedale is marginally better for younger kids. They are both at opposite ends of the Lakes though so I'd just go with whichever is closer.

Chocolateteabag Wed 04-Jan-17 19:01:57

Grizedale really isn't great for little kids though! Only ones who can ride fairly well. They loan out pull along trolleys but unless you are a serious biker you'll struggle up the hills. Ds1 is 6 and he found lots of the hills hard to get up

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now