Talk

Advanced search

Christmas London Day trip

(11 Posts)
TinkyDinks Sat 12-Nov-16 16:37:22

Hi,

We normally do a long weekend at Centerparcs near Christmas but due to work commitments we can't do that this year so are taking the children to London for the day.

I want to make it as Christmassy as I can and wondered what you would recommend we do? We've done theatre in summer so don't want to do that. Children are 10, 7 and 6.

Thanks smile

franksidebottom Sat 12-Nov-16 20:27:43

Ice skating?
Winter wonderland?
Bus tour to see all the lights?

Toomanycats99 Sat 12-Nov-16 20:42:37

We have done this. Winter wonderland has a circus and rides but is silly busy. You need to get there very early. We saw santa on golden hinde last year which was something different. John Lewis has A roof cafe with little wooden huts and blankets. Nice for a break. Covent Garden? Has large Lego xmasy model. Wander down Oxford street for lights and windows.

GlitteryFluff Sat 12-Nov-16 23:39:35

Ooh bumping
We have been to winter wonderland the last three years and have enjoyed it but it is mega busy so interested to read what else we could do.

TinkyDinks Sun 13-Nov-16 22:58:17

I've been told Winter Wonderland is good but hellish. Friend went yesterday and said everywhere was heaving that was remotely Christmassy confused

franksidebottom Mon 14-Nov-16 09:30:07

I love Harrods at xmas time, also the southbank has a Xmas market on and is lit up at night.

Everywhere will be busy at this time of year, it will be quieter if it's a weekday. I took dd1 a couple of years ago to Winter Wonderland on a school training day and it was lovely and quiet

franksidebottom Mon 14-Nov-16 09:34:09

I also took my dds on a Xmas lights bus tour around London, got half price tickets on wowcher. It was so magical, I would definitely recommend that. We were given blankets and mulled wine and sweets for the kids, the bus was decked out in decorations, and Xmas music was playing even the driver had a santa suit ongrin. I'm trying to go again this year as my youngest dd was only 7 months old last christmas

Avebury Mon 14-Nov-16 20:45:13

Bus tour sounds amazing. I don't suppose you remember which company it was with?

franksidebottom Tue 15-Nov-16 14:54:17

I think it was with a company called abbey tours, got the tickets through wowcher and they were half price, I haven't seen anything this year for it though, so may have to pay full price. Google abbey tours. We got the bus from near trafalger square, and it was just over an hour long, at night so not held up through traffic. It went down some streets I didn't know were there and they were beautifully decorated. It also helped it was a very mild night. I honestly couldn't recommend it enough

Avebury Tue 15-Nov-16 14:58:27

Thank you - will have a google

LEWestminster Tue 22-Nov-16 13:27:48

Try our MN Local site for Westminster & City, which has thousands of listings including a Christmas What's On guide - local.mumsnet.com/westminster-and-city/christmas - attractions, restaurants, hotels... in central London: local.mumsnet.com/westminster-and-city/things-to-do

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now