Afternoon in York with 13 and 10 year olds

(7 Posts)
allypally32 Sat 15-Oct-16 07:47:32

Will be in York next Saturday for the afternoon with my 2 DDs. Any ideas what we can do that would be fun for them? They have never been to York before and I haven't been there since pre DDs.

2pandasandapig Sat 15-Oct-16 07:50:15

My kids enjoyed Dig when we were last in York, it's an archeological thing, very informative and hands on.

Flanderspigeonmurderer Sat 15-Oct-16 07:52:10

The railway museum, the Viking centre, a trip on the river.

Cheerybigbottom Sat 15-Oct-16 08:02:39

I think the Jorvik centre is still closed for refurbishment after floods.

Have a look at the york pass, it's a leisure card that you can buy for kids/adults to get entry into Yorks museums/activities including the dungeon and Minster/castle. It's about £20 for a child's day pass, and maybe £25 for an adults?

soundingklaxon Sat 15-Oct-16 08:03:06

We went in the summer holidays with similar aged girls and went to a place called Gr8 escape- one of those escape rooms. We did it as a family- unsuccessfully (!!!), but our girls loved it. We also went to the railway museum ( one liked it, one didn't). York Castle Museum was good, we all enjoyed it there. They also have a chocolate factory that you can go round that gets good reviews. (We haven't been in). The precious time we'd been we went to the Jorvik museum which they enjoyed. Have fun! York's lovely!

Madcats Sat 15-Oct-16 18:14:00

Well you won't hear any bell ringing at the Minster. DD9 enjoyed "Dig" too (it possibly depends who is in your group of excavators but I wished that we had been able to spend a bit longer than the hour we had free to look around).

We have English Heritage membership and the weather was fine so we enjoyed climbing up Cliffords Tower and then went across to York Museum for a couple of hours. DD really enjoyed the Victorian Street and quite liked the other bits too (mill/toys/war stuff).

allypally32 Sat 15-Oct-16 21:50:17

Some great ideas, thanks all

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now