Talk

Advanced search

Harry Potter World ?

(29 Posts)
BeaLola Mon 26-Sep-16 09:36:23

DS is nearly 9 and really into HP.

Am thinking of taking him one Saturday to HPWorld with DH. Looking online you need to book a slot. As we are some distance I would like to leave comfortable amount of time for travel and am thinking of booking say 11 am slot .

Just wondering, as it's not cheap, if this will leave us enough time to do / see everything else there and if you have been is it really worth it ?

Huge thanks for help

AnecdotallyChallenged Mon 26-Sep-16 09:39:46

It's great!

That will be fine

NicknameUsed Mon 26-Sep-16 09:40:00

It is a brilliant day out, and if your son is massively into Harry Potter then he will love it. There is a lot of detail and stuff to read as well.

The butterbeer is vile though. There is a very good reason why there is a large wet waste barrel next to the butterbeer stall. Oh, and the shop is hideously expensive. I bought DD a T-shirt and she wore it a lot so it represented far better value for money than a chocolate frog.

poisonedbypen Mon 26-Sep-16 09:46:25

Best day out we have ever had as a family. Enjoy.

QuimReaper Mon 26-Sep-16 09:46:52

You'll be fine, that's heaps of time!

Take water and snacks; the food options stink and the queues can be huge, and there aren't any water fountains or anything.

Take layers if it's even possibly going to be cold; it's basically a warehouse and quite draughty.

Buy a t-shirt, they're great quality!

TheNaze73 Mon 26-Sep-16 09:47:34

It's a fantastic day & your timings will be fine. Hope you have a fabulous time

Thethingswedoforlove Mon 26-Sep-16 09:57:05

That is fine but worth bringing food or planning to get lunch half way round- we started at that time but didn't finish til 3.30 and were starving by then!

LIZS Mon 26-Sep-16 10:02:29

Allow about 3 hours to go round. You won't be hurried through so 11 am slot is fine. Then you can browse in the shop and grab a snack before heading off.

SpaceDinosaur Mon 26-Sep-16 10:08:10

If you're travelling really far there's some good deals on local hotels in Watford (particularly around the Junction)

Definitely plan your eating. It's a brilliant but loooooong tour and totally worth every minute!

Book. Book now. It fills up fast

PikachuSayBoo Mon 26-Sep-16 10:09:14

Oh I loved the butterbeer.

Great day out.

Gift shop is expensive.

PikachuSayBoo Mon 26-Sep-16 10:10:22

Oh and the food options were better at the shop at the start (before you go in) than half way round. You can also go in the gift shop before your time slot.

WaitrosePigeon Mon 26-Sep-16 10:11:24

It's a great experience. Everything is very expensive for what it is. The gift shop is so expensive it's laughable. I didn't let them have any of my money apart from the tickets.

PerspicaciaTick Mon 26-Sep-16 10:12:48

I think 3 hours is a bit of a short visit. We took 5 hours to potter (geddit?) round and still felt we could have spent longer.

Clutterbugsmum Mon 26-Sep-16 10:21:54

I think they recommend 3 to 4 hours per visit, but we have always been more like 5 to 6 hours.

Once you are through the initial bits you can spend as much time looking as you like.

MooseAndSquirrel Mon 26-Sep-16 10:27:15

11 is a great slot - I second taking food as their options are v.limited and over priced.
the gift shop is expensive but awesome, I've taken my eldest three times now (we are both huge fans) we spend a fortune in the gift shop but the the tshirts are great quality & even my first hoody is going strong after a three years.
definitely would recommend it for any potter fan grin

NapQueen Mon 26-Sep-16 10:27:19

The only bit they rush you through is the Great Hall but even then it's not that rushed. The rest is totally at your own pace. I'd say 1 Hour or so for the first building, 45 mins outside in the middle and another 1.5 hours in the second building is probably the minimum. I could have happily spent more time. The chocolate frogs in the shop are the best value as they are solid chocolate not hollow like I thought they'd be.

twinmamma2b Mon 26-Sep-16 18:21:38

Can anyone advise if there are many places to sit down? I'm taking DN at the weekend and need to sit quite frequently.

ShowOfHands Mon 26-Sep-16 18:25:49

Plenty of places to sit.

Last time we went for 10hrs. Brilliant place.

bruffin Mon 26-Sep-16 18:29:22

We spent 6 hours there andbthe food optiom are really not bad. The mac and cheese is lovely.

foamybananasweets Mon 26-Sep-16 18:44:27

The food we had was awful. We spent £30 on 3 meals and left most of it shock

We spent £200 (including tickets) all together and were there about 5h (including an hour in the gift shop as DD is a shopaholic and had birthday money burning a hole in her pocket)

The butterbeer is cream soda. (I hate cream soda). Butterbeer ice cream was better,

Very good but so expensive for what isn't even a full day out!

WhatWouldTheDoctorDo Mon 26-Sep-16 18:50:02

We went this summer - we spent 6 hours there. I'd definitely get some food if starting at 11 - you could easily be 3 hours plus before you get to an eating area and you really don't want to rush through.

Butter beer is grim!

BeaLola Mon 26-Sep-16 23:44:04

THANK YOU ALL For taking time to comment -really appreciated.

The weekend I was looking at only has tours at 430 onwards and I think we need to do your first right ?

Another date I'm looking at is just after Xmas and that has morning plus availability

bruffin Tue 27-Sep-16 10:17:07

Definitely go in the morning. We went at 9.30. Also are they both winter hogwarts with snow,?

LIZS Tue 27-Sep-16 10:30:24

The tour is the entrance to the attraction and the Great Hall, so you can only access it from that time (or a bit before if queue isn't long)

nonicknameseemsavailable Tue 27-Sep-16 10:41:29

we were there for 6hours in total, didn't dawdle, just managed to spend that long in it - could have been longer too.

definitely recommend it - we all had a fab day. butterbeer is yukky yes but the kids like the souvenir tankards. ice cream was better but enormous.

shop is very expensive I agree.

your time starts 10 minutes before it with the queue. your time includes about 20 minutes in the queue before you go in. the initial bit is controlled but once you have left the Great Hall you can take your time and move around as you wish. worth taking your own snacks and drinks although we did have food there before we left to start the long journey home and it was nice but it does add money on to the day. Worth getting a digital guide I think, we got them for us all but to be honest we could have just shared one or two but they do give more info and kept the kids occupied in the queue.

I don't remember seeing many places to sit down to the poster who asked about that. There were some but not many.

IMO it is definitely worth a visit, it IS expensive but as a one off I don't think it was ridiculous and the kids had a very memorable day.

would definitely suggest a late morning/lunchtime slot.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now