Talk

Advanced search

Chedworth Roman Villa - other things to do nearby?

(5 Posts)
Blatherskite Wed 17-Aug-16 14:28:59

9 year old DS is a bit of a history fan and as our house sale is apparently going nowhere fast, I thought I might get us all away from the stress for a couple of days and book us a night in a premier inn in Gloucester and visit Chedworth.

Having never been before though I'm wondering....is there enough there to keep us (me, DS and 6 year old DD) amused for a whole day? Can we eat there? and what else is available nearby that we could do if not/the following day?

I need a couple of days away from the stress and the children need a couple of days away from the TV and Xbox while watching me pack. Any help would be very gratefully received.

TIA

mouldycheesefan Tue 23-Aug-16 12:51:54

No to be honest it's quite small I would say an hour to two hours to get round absolute tops!
There is a small Roman museum in nearby Cirencester.
Climbing wall at north peak nearby the villa for something more active.
Model village at bourton on the water.
Could get to Oxford or Stratford from there, plenty of history at both!
The village pub in Barnsley is ver nice for lunch near the chedworth villa or plenty places in Cirencester.
Several other national trust places nearby too.
Several museums in Gloucester itself as well plus Cheltenham not far.
Plenty to do in the area but the villa is not a major attraction I am afraid. From Gloucester could go to Roman baths in bath?

Gini99 Tue 23-Aug-16 13:03:20

It is quite small but we spend longer than an hour or two there. The ruins don't take a huge amount of time but the mosaics are very impressive. They also usually have something to do in the activity room (make a mosaic etc) and they have a small cafe. It is is a lovely little valley and quite a sun trap. My kids (similar age) are often quite happy to play around whilst we have a coffee. We usually go for a walk in the woods behind as they are very pretty. If you combine it with Cirencester or Bourton then it is a good day out. If you were staying nearer the villa then the Cotswold Wildlife Park is a nice 2nd day and close too.

Blatherskite Tue 23-Aug-16 13:58:28

Thanks ladies. We actually went last week.

By the time I'd finished doing last minute bits with the estate agents and solicitors as our buyers had decided that they wanted to complete that day after all and driven for almost 2 hours, it was past lunch anyway. The kids had had snacks in the car so we spent about 3 hours there, saw the mosaics, made some mosaics, did the woodland trivia hunt and played 9 mans morris on the grass and filled our afternoon. We then headed over to Gloucester to meet DH who's working away at the moment and have some dinner.

Friday we spent in Bourton-on-the-Water seeing Birdland, the maze and the miniature village. The kids were tired after all that and happily slept in the car on the way home.

We had a lovely time.

Gini99 Tue 23-Aug-16 15:55:43

Glad to hear that - I didn't spot the date!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now