Talk

Advanced search

Information on the British Museum Please

(9 Posts)
batters Mon 29-Jan-07 15:34:03

I am taking dd and her friend (age 8) to the British Museum this weekend. We have been quite a lot before, but always to a special family event.

This time there is nothing family oriented going on. I know there are always backpack activities etc. However I was considering the Great Court Audio Tour - Stephen Fry on bodies beasts and board games. As it costs ?3.50 a pop (shock, horror, paying for a museum) I'd quite like to see if anyone has any experience of it.

Thanks!

roisin Sat 04-Aug-07 21:20:52

Batters - did you do the Stephen Fry tour? Is it any good?

Any other tips or highlights?

We are hoping to "do" the British Museum in when we come to London October half term. In the past we've tried to squash it into a packed itinerary, and all just collapsed exhausted in the Great Court and not got any further.

DS1 is doing Egyptians next year, and ds2 Greeks: so they should enjoy it.

I've taken them to the Ashmolean in Oxford before, but just found it terribly dry and inaccessible. Is the British Museum better?

roisin Mon 06-Aug-07 11:20:09

bump for Batters?

Kathyis6incheshigh Mon 06-Aug-07 11:25:43

Roisin - the interpretation in the BM is not much more family friendly than the Ashmolean but there are more big, impressive items in the collection.

My advice would be to choose what you want to look at and don't do it all; focus on Egyptian and Mesopotamian and some of the Greek stuff as that's probably the most fun.

roisin Mon 06-Aug-07 13:04:48

Thanks Kathy.

roisin Sat 01-Sep-07 14:59:39

Bump
Batters did you do the Stephen Fry tour? Was it good? How long was it? What did it cover?

We are quite excited about seeing the Rosetta Stone, the huge bust of Rameses, and the Egyptian Mummies. Dh also wants to see the Moai from Easter Island.

I'm not sure whether to leave it at that or try and see some other highlights too?

wheresthehamster Sat 01-Sep-07 15:03:05

Isn't the terracotta army due to arrive in October?

peachygirl Sat 01-Sep-07 15:08:00

The terracotta army opens on the 13th sept. We have booked for my parents aand us to go in december

roisin Sat 01-Sep-07 15:16:53

Yes, we've booked to go to the Terracotta Army too.

But we want to see some other stuff too.

We actually had a disastrous visit to the BM about 4 years ago at the very end of a frenetic trip to London, when we were all utterly exhausted and really should have known better than to try and squeeze in another activity! We basically all collapsed without seeing anything except the great court, and ds1 had a paddy strop.

So this year we have allocated an entire day to the BM if we want, and I'm determined to make it a success.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now