Talk

Advanced search

London attractions advice please

(14 Posts)
mouldycheesefan Fri 10-Jun-16 07:54:37

Attending event in London with kids age 9-10, staying overnight so we have the following day free till about 4pm.pleas can anyone recommend a couple of things for us to do?
We have been to London quite a bit and have previously done tower of London , natural history museum, science museum, princess Diana Playground, museum of London, south bank, oxo tower, Tate modern, Greenwich, Emirates cable car, Buckingham palace, st James gardens, Trafalgar Square, hamleys, borough market. Not the London eye I don't like heights.
Want to avoid shops and markets and need to stay fairly central as train from Paddington in evening.
Any suggestions?

sleepwhenidie Fri 10-Jun-16 08:14:53

Regents Park (possibly to include open air theatre depending on day/what is on) and the Zoo?

Grant Museum of Zooology (small but kids love it), lunch in Marylebone and then Wallace Collection (trying on armour etc)?

British Museum for Egyptians/mummies etc?

The big museums always bear revisiting by the way, it's impossible to see everything in one visit so you might want to look at the websites for NHM/Science Museum to see what's there to see if there's something new or an exhibition you didn't check out properly before, changing ages of the DC's affect this a lot too.

noramum Fri 10-Jun-16 21:10:49

Zoo may be a bit much if you only have until 4pm

Wetland Center?

Go Ape in Battersea

Check TimeOut if there is anything on when you are going

Groovee Fri 10-Jun-16 21:17:15

What about Ripleys Believe it or not? You can use Tesco vouchers.

mouldycheesefan Sat 11-Jun-16 10:46:35

Thanks for taking the time to make suggestions. We have done London zoo and the Egypt section at British museum before, forgot to include in op sorry! ,Ripleys isn't our cup of tea but will check out all the other suggestions. We have a wetland centre and go ape near us so prob will give those a miss. Will also look in time out and tripadvisor, thanks.

mouldycheesefan Sat 11-Jun-16 10:50:44

Are the sky garden, Kensington palace, HMS Belfast or the V&a any good for this age group? Thanks

Princesspond Sat 11-Jun-16 11:01:52

I was going to say sky garden, but you don't like heights. My children 7 and 6 loved it (you can only book 3 weeks in advance, spaces released on a Monday). We recently walked from there past the monument (think this is still shut for refurb) across London Bridge, passed the Golden Hinde and the Globe to the Tate modern. Taking in all the entertainment along the river - good on a sunny day.

squidgyapple Sat 11-Jun-16 11:06:05

Madame Tussauds - you can use Tesco vouchers.
I've heard that the London Docklands museum is v good

Inmyownlittlecorner Sat 11-Jun-16 11:11:43

Belfast & V&A are good for that age group.
The Southbank is a good wandering place, you could do Belfast, grab lunch & wander down to the Globe, Golden Hinde & Clink Prison Museum.
My 7 year old DD enjoys doing that & my 9 year old Niece & 13 year old Nephew had fun when we did it with them last summer.

user1464887935 Sat 11-Jun-16 11:17:20

Regents Park open air theatre is great if there's a suitable show on. Also love wandering along the south bank - watching the skateboarders and taking in the atmosphere, then a visit to Tate Modern.

HarrietVane99 Sat 11-Jun-16 11:17:30

Docklands museum is excellent, but perhaps a bit too far as op is getting a train from Paddington.

National Gallery/Portrait Gallery/Trafalgar Square/St James's Park?

I agree that all the big museums are worth a second, third, fiftieth visit.

I know you want to avoid shops, but if anyone in your party is interested in sci fi/fantasy/comics, Forbidden Planet in Shaftesbury Ave is good for browsing. It's not far from British Museum.

Ratbagratty Sat 11-Jun-16 11:21:01

Namco station, arcade with small bowling alley and food. It's near London aquarium! Love it especially if the weather turns.

DelphiniumBlue Sat 11-Jun-16 11:25:05

The cartoon museum is great, especially if there's a workshop on. Its close to the British museum.

viviantaylor666 Thu 23-Jun-16 11:17:50

Madame Tussauds is definitely an interesting option that I think you and your kids would enjoy!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now