Talk

Advanced search

Zoo Keeper experience for an 8 year old - Essex, Kent, Surrey, Sussex

(5 Posts)
noramum Tue 15-Mar-16 13:51:04

DD is due for a massive treat and we think about getting a zoo keeper experience for her.

Has anybody done one with a child that age? We live in London/North Kent border and happy to travel to a good zoo.

RatOnnaStick Tue 15-Mar-16 13:55:03

I've seen kids around 8 or 10 at Drusillas doing it. They seemed to have fun.

MoonfaceAndSilky Tue 15-Mar-16 14:01:18

My daughter did the Drusilla's one a few years ago. It was great fun and she got to tag along with a real keeper. She was busy all day but her highlights were going into the Meerkat enclosure, feeding the penguins their fish yuk and holding a snake. There are no 'big' animals there though.

bruffin Tue 15-Mar-16 14:13:06

Paradise wildlife park is just round the M25 They used to do a very cheap day in the school holidays as well, my dc loved it but i think that one was for older children.

noramum Thu 14-Jul-16 12:52:12

In case somebody is interested in this.

We did DD's "Fledging Keeper" two weeks ago at Colchester Zoo.

It is a two hour stint with max 2 children and they go to various animals. She loved it and the keeper was very patient and knowledgeable.

DD did:
fed parrots (you can do this anyway but they went into the actual aviary instead of the public space)
trained goats
cuddled with rabbits
fed wallabies
groomed a horse
fed asian pigs and got a talk about how they make the pigs looking for food and train them to go on walks.
fed and cuddled giant tortoises

The price sound high with £85 but it included her entry and one adult plus a £7.50 voucher to spend in the food stalls/cafe.

This was for children 6-9. I think if you have a 9 year old or nearly 9 year old I would hold for another year to do the 10-13 year experience.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now