Talk

Advanced search

What to can I do in Manchester for the day which doesn't involve shopping?

(24 Posts)
WhoTheFuckIsSimon Sun 13-Mar-16 19:41:19

Am planning ahead for when I drop dd off for ComicCon in July. Never been to manchester in my life. Will need to be in the city centre as we will be getting the train in.

ruddynorah Sun 13-Mar-16 19:43:37

The people's history museum and a nice lunch somewhere nearby at spinningfields.

iklboo Sun 13-Mar-16 19:50:30

Whitworth Art Gallery
Manchester Art Gallery
Manchester Museum
John Rylands Library

iklboo Sun 13-Mar-16 19:52:46

You can get a free bus in the city centre as well (there are three) that takes you round nearer some of the museums, galleries etc.

If you're drinking alcohol head for Atlas Bar under Deansgate Station. 154 gins!!

nattyknitter Sun 13-Mar-16 19:52:52

Science and Industry Museum

InMySpareTime Sun 13-Mar-16 20:05:37

Football museum
Manchester Cathedral
Chinatown

WhoTheFuckIsSimon Sun 13-Mar-16 20:07:52

Won't be drinking sadly as need to drive to the train station this end.

Thanks everyone, sounds like there's plenty of art galleries and museums to keep me busy!

ZenNudist Sun 13-Mar-16 20:08:56

What of you usually do as a treat or to relax? Manchester has a lot going for it. In the city centre I'd get the bus out to the whitworth art gallery personally. And/Or if it's not raining then a stroll along the canal side down to castlefield then probably back past the museum of science and industry and into spinningfields for lunch would be good fun. There's a manchester art gallery on Moseley st which would be a good way to kill time later on.

The northern quarter is also good for a wander although it's easy to get lost and there is an element of shopping insofar as there's lots of arty and independent shops that I like to look in. It's a good place to get a good coffee in non chain places and a casual lunch anywhere.

We also have a new independent cinema/theatre/art gallery called HOME which is pat the old hacienda building so a 15-20 min leisurely walk away from train station (castlefield way so you could combine this with canal walk). That might be showing something worth seeing that woukd be different from your usual cinema going experience. It's also another place to eat. Been meaning to try the cafe/restaurant there myself at some point.

Look ahead and book something to see at as you fancy: bridgewater hall, royal exchange theatre, the Lowry theatre (which is also worth a visit as it's a great building, the permanent collection is fab, and they have visiting exhibitions, plus places to eat around the quays. Tram ride to get there but that's no bad thing either).

Fingermoose Sun 13-Mar-16 20:10:22

I'm with iklboo - John Rylands library in the morning, lunch somewhere nice in spinningfields - outside is a possibility in July, and then the afternoon in the art gallery. All city centre so no buses required, and all free (apart from lunch).

ZenNudist Sun 13-Mar-16 20:17:01

Just checked comic con is In Manchester central so close to spinningfields, castlefield, HOME...

A good walk to northern quarter.

WhoTheFuckIsSimon Sun 13-Mar-16 20:18:49

Well I generally like art galleries and history, so castles, cathedrals and stately homes but guessing that Manchester City centre is lacking on some of those.

But the library sounds good along with art galleries. Will give the football museum a miss! grin

Arty and independent shops are more my thing than city centre standard shops so will check out the northern quarter.

GeorgeTheThird Sun 13-Mar-16 20:23:25

You can walk from Manchester Central to the Manchester Art Gallery easily. And then from there to the Northern Quarter is only 10-15 mins.

Bear in mind that your train ticket will allow you to use the trams in the city centre for free, too.

GlitteryShoes Sun 13-Mar-16 20:28:19

What about a guided walk?
www.manchesterguidedtours.com/

Manchester is quite stunning architecturally, the mix of old and new is great. If you take photos, you could get some good shots in the city centre. Another option might be afternoon tea - The Midland is posh, but the Hilton is great for people watching.

WhoTheFuckIsSimon Sun 13-Mar-16 20:28:29

That's good to know about the free trams.

madamginger Sun 13-Mar-16 20:28:42

We have a cathedral in the city centre, it's next to Victoria train station

iklboo Sun 13-Mar-16 20:57:14

Trams aren't free but there are free shuttle buses

iklboo Sun 13-Mar-16 20:57:56

There's the Roman site at Castlefield

iklboo Sun 13-Mar-16 20:59:41

Ooh - there's Ordsall Hall as well. Tram to Salford quays then short walk across.

Fingermoose Sun 13-Mar-16 21:03:26

The Manchester guided tours company does a tour of the town hall and up the clock tower - another amazing building.

WhoTheFuckIsSimon Sun 13-Mar-16 21:14:07

Ordesall hall is shut on a Saturday which is a shame.

GeorgeTheThird Mon 14-Mar-16 08:47:27

Trams are free if you have a train ticket to the city centre.

Zampa Mon 14-Mar-16 08:53:40

Highly recommend the Whitworth Art Gallery. The new building has won architectural awards and the cafe is a really beautiful space.

The pictures are alright too, I suppose ...

iklboo Mon 14-Mar-16 17:33:15

Ah, yes! Of course the trams are free with train tickets (face palm).

ellaballoo Wed 16-Mar-16 04:48:45

I recommend lunch in the Town Hall cafe , it's a beautiful building and the food is delicious.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now