Northumberland - if the weather isn't great

(14 Posts)
WhatWouldTheDoctorDo Sat 06-Feb-16 11:12:05

We 'real spending a few days in Northumberland in the Spring - any suggestions for things to do if the weather 'a foul. 8 and 4 year olds to keep entertained!

CalliopeTorres Sat 06-Feb-16 11:18:58

Alnwick castle
Barter Books
Discovery Museum
Centre for Life
Clip n climb at Concordia in cramlington

WhatWouldTheDoctorDo Sat 06-Feb-16 11:24:53

Thank you! Will look those up - have been to Alnwick Castle a few times but not the others.

Bunbaker Sat 06-Feb-16 11:26:45

We visit family in Northumberland a lot, and folk on here are always asking what there is to do so I drew this list up.

Northumberland Attractions

Towns
Morpeth, Alnwick, Hexham, Corbridge, Berwick upon Tweed

Castles
Alnwick castle and gardens, Chillingham, Warkworth, Belsay, Bamburgh, Dunstanburgh, Lindisfarne

Stately homes
Cragside, Wallington, Seaton Delaval

Other sites
Holy Island, Hadrian's wall - Housesteads, Vindolanda and Chesters, Howick gardens, Woodhorn museum, Farne Islands, Grace Darling museum, Brinkburn Priory, Warkworth hermitage, Hauxley nature reserve

Beaches
Druridge bay, Alnmouth, Embleton

Children
Whitehouse farm centre, Kirkley hall zoological gardens, Heatherslaw light railway, Eshott Heugh animal park

CalliopeTorres Sat 06-Feb-16 11:35:52

Clip n climb is pretty new but fantastic, especially for kids that age.

www.activenorthumberland.org.uk/leisure-facilities/concordia-leisure-centre/clip-n-climb

CalliopeTorres Sat 06-Feb-16 11:38:21

Kirkley Hal zoological gardens and woodhorn museum.

CalliopeTorres Sat 06-Feb-16 11:42:32

BBC Newcastle do an interactive tour and you can take a tour of the tunnel that runs underneath Newcastle.
m.dayoutwiththekids.co.uk/family-fun/victoria-tunnel/6092

WhatWouldTheDoctorDo Sat 06-Feb-16 17:49:02

Thanks for all the suggestions, especially that great list bunbaker!

mamabluestar Mon 08-Feb-16 23:09:07

Seven Stories in Newcastle is on our family bucket list

redannie118 Mon 08-Feb-16 23:14:12

There's a vue cinema in Cramlington if the weather is really awful. Would also recommend the clip and climb at concordia in Cramlington theres a fab huge soft play and lovely leisure pool there in the same building

AliMonkey Mon 08-Feb-16 23:26:22

We went to Woodhorn with 6 & 8 year olds expecting to be there a couple of hours and spent the whole day as lots to see and do - if your kids are like mine and like trails / quizzes. Nice cafe too if I remember correctly!

ouryve Mon 08-Feb-16 23:40:03

If you do venture into Newcastle, the Hancock museum is fab - comes complete with dinosaur skeletons!

I think you have to book the tunnel tours in advance, IIRC, so no good for a spontaneous wet day.

There's a big aquarium place in Tynemouth (the Reef?) Took the boys there years ago and they enjoyed it.

ZiggyFartFace Mon 08-Feb-16 23:50:56

I think it's important to teach children about how the Roman Wall felt for Roman soldiers. Freeze their bollocks off. Genuine immersion learning.

Personally, as a native NE bod who lives away, we only go 'on holiday' to Northumberland in the summer. The rest of the time we go to Newcastle/Durham/Hexham if we need to leave the house.

WhatWouldTheDoctorDo Thu 11-Feb-16 17:49:21

Brilliant, thanks everyone!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now