Talk

Advanced search

London Dungeon ..too scarey for 9 year old DD?

(22 Posts)
wizzler Sat 30-Jan-16 17:07:07

Am taking DS(11) and DD (9) to London in Feb... Was considering the dungeon as it wont be affected by weather...

Their website suggests 12 as a minimum age... but naturally I defer to Mumsnet .. have you been and what did you think ?

ShutUpLegs Sat 30-Jan-16 17:10:31

Sweet Mother of God - yes - its too much for 9 year old.

It was too much me for me as a 14 year old

hels71 Sat 30-Jan-16 20:35:21

I took my sister when she was 13...and she was terrified!

swooosh Sat 30-Jan-16 20:42:07

I went at about 15 with my 12 and 9yo siblings and we all shat ourselves. I'm scared to ever go back and I LOVE scary films.

geekaMaxima Sat 30-Jan-16 21:49:45

I went when I was 14 and felt too old for it - not scary at all.

It would have been fun for me at 11 or 12, and probably would have been fine at 9 as well. I was a very hard kid to scare.

Definitely depends on the child, though...

wizzler Sun 31-Jan-16 09:43:08

Thanks... will probably defer till they are older... DD is pretty tough, but DS is much less so and I wouldn't want them to be scared witless so they can't enjoy the rest of the break .

Dfg15 Sun 31-Jan-16 09:47:37

I went in the 70s when it hadn't been open long. I was 20 ish and it terrified me. I would NEVER go again.

Chinks123 Sun 31-Jan-16 09:56:41

I agree my stepmum took me aged 9/10 and my baby brother aged 1 round in his pram!!! I thought she was being really fun but looking back I don't think it was the best idea, it is scary because there's lots of actors jumping out in the dark etc. I'd wait till they're older smile

InQuiteAPickle Sun 31-Jan-16 09:56:43

We went a couple of years ago when the DDs were 3 and 7. Seeing as children were featured on the price list we figured it couldn't be too bad and would be suitable, although DH double checked with the staff and they said the kids would be fine hmm.

Dd2 (3) was fine, walked round deadpan. DD2 managed most of it as she knew it was pretend but got scared at the Sweeney Todd bit and by the Jack The Ripper bit it all got too much when they were describing the butchering of prostitutes and we bailed through the chicken exits.

It depends on your 9 year old but I wouldn't recommend it. I mean I would recommend it, it was good and I was sorry I missed the end but it's not for kids grin.

HermioneWeasley Sun 31-Jan-16 10:01:14

I went to the Edinburgh me last year and nearly shit myself. Never again!

Sparklycat Sun 31-Jan-16 10:02:20

Yep! I went at 13 and cried all the way around haha

Lifeisdinky Sun 31-Jan-16 10:13:49

I went with a 10 year old (girl) in Christmas holidays, she wanted to go and said she loved it BUT clung to me the whole way round and had her eye closed for boat thing and in one of the rooms.
You go round in a group of 25/30 and there are tableau scenes with actors (Plague, Jack the Ripper Guy Fawkes etc). They pick members of the group out to join in , but from our experience were experienced at picking out those who were comfortable. I couldn't have joined in as couldn't have left her on own at all and wasn't asked at any point.

So not a definite no from me but one where you need to see what they say on the day.
If going soon there is an offer to get 241 entry with a valid national rail ticket (lookup London daysout offers)

ihateminecraft Sun 07-Feb-16 21:13:59

My 9 year old loved it, my 11 year old would’ve shat himself. All depends on the child ☺

littleblackno Sun 07-Feb-16 21:20:20

I took my kids last year- at the time ds was nearly 9 and dd just 8- they both loved it but didn't go on the ride at the end.
I think it really depends on your kids as I could imagine alot wouldn't like it.

AppleCrumbled Wed 10-Feb-16 20:04:52

My friend took her DD (10) and 4 friends to the London Dungeons for her DD's birthday treat and they were all terrified.

Maddaddam Wed 10-Feb-16 20:07:38

We took 13, 12 and 9yo dds a couple of years ago.

9yo dd3 got scared and I had to take her out half way through.

I was quite glad we didn't have to go through the Jack the Ripper bit. I'm not v keen on rape as entertainment... So yes, in hindsight I wouldn't take a 9yo.

bbpp Wed 10-Feb-16 20:58:36

It really depends on the kid. I went to York Dungeon which I imagine is similar when I was 7ish with a family friend of the same age. I found it really interesting, and enjoyed that it was scary/creepy, while he cried at multiple points, but I think enjoyed it overall. Tried to take my little sister when she was about that age and she only made it up the stairs at the entrance before insisting we leave.

BartholinsSister Tue 16-Feb-16 21:00:48

Maddaddam Jack the Ripper isn't known to have raped anyone.

OddsandSods Wed 17-Feb-16 22:33:34

It depends on the child. DD went age 8 and loved it, she went on the ride too. We then took her to the London Bridge experience which was a bit lame but at the end you walk through a bit where people jump out at you to scare you. There were grown men screaming and we had the giggles.

ihateminecraft Wed 17-Feb-16 22:54:47

Thought the London Bridge Experience looked terrifying, really gory! I've walked past The Clink prison museum a few times and thought it looked good. Much for reasonably priced than the dungeons or London Bridge. Anyone been?

500internalerror Wed 17-Feb-16 23:05:06

Ihateminecraft, the clink takes about 10 minutes to get round, that's why it's much cheaper- we actually went back to the entrance & asked to go round again to get some value for money!

London dungeon much less scary/far more family friendly in its new location. It is dark though, & some scary parts, but a lot of humour too.

coolpatterngirl Mon 07-Mar-16 13:53:38

We visited on impulse this weekend. My 6 year old loved it, wasn't frightened in the least. He found it amusing (worrying!)

My 9 year old was abit more nervous but all fine. It wasn't as bad as I recall from my childhood, it was more interactive theatre.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now