British museum
Tower of London
Nat History
Museum of London
Imperial War
Tate
Madam tussauds
Borough market

We are planning 2 days in London and are going to see 2 shows so am looking for some cheap/ free options.
I'm thinking about...
Oxford street for shopping (obv not free but need a couple of things)
The Foundling Museum?
What about transport museum? any good?
V&A?
What about areas that are just good for people watching and mooching (Covent garden but what else?)
TIA!

NoonarAgain Mon 17-Aug-15 09:40:24

ps I'm staying in The Strand if that makes a difference, itinerary wise.

Singleandproud Mon 17-Aug-15 09:45:52

Are they too old for parks? we just spent a week in London and visited some brilliant parks. Princess Diana Playground at Kensington Gardens, you could have lunch / hire a pedal oat Hyde park and walk up.

Travel to Stratford and visit the Olympic stadium / go swimming in the pool there again some lovely parks.

Also if it's hot I'd carry Some swimming costumes and a towel so they can run around in the fountains.

We were staying at a Stratford and got the DLR to Canary Wharf, a lovely roof top garden there for lunch then got a water bus (instead of the touristy one) and went all the way up the River passing all the sites and going under Tower Bridge. Then we went on the eye which was good and the Shrek Adventure is there but we didn't do that.

NoonarAgain Mon 17-Aug-15 09:50:28

thanks. sounds like you had great fun! our last day out was at Kew and we live quite rurally so its more the city vibe that i'm interested in soaking up!

NoonarAgain Mon 17-Aug-15 09:50:59

ps will look at hyde park, though

NoonarAgain Mon 17-Aug-15 10:07:16

bump!

MrsCornish Mon 17-Aug-15 19:12:08

Have you been to Camden market? or Portobello road market. I would avoid Oxford street and go instead to somewhere like kings road or Notting hill for shopping. If you are going in the summer visit the temporary building at the serpentine in Hyde park

MrsCornish Mon 17-Aug-15 19:13:15

also walking over the 02 dome is good

Heels99 Mon 17-Aug-15 19:13:44

South bank is free and plenty to see
Transport museum is not free

franksidebottom Mon 17-Aug-15 21:42:04

River cruise or Thames clippers, trafalgar square for mooching and your right next to the national gallery or my new favourite which is sky garden, it's free but you need to book tickets. I used to work in the strand, I miss it ����

franksidebottom Mon 17-Aug-15 21:46:11

You could also walk from trafalgar square up the mall towards buck palace and sit and have a picnic in green park or St James park

Toomanycats99 Sun 06-Sep-15 20:12:47

Thames rib voyages are great. They are limited in speed before tower bridge but then restrictions are lifted so it's loads of fun. They go from Westminster pier so v close to strand I think.

AmyLabelle1 Fri 13-Nov-15 14:10:23

I didn't see if you had a specific date you were looking to go, but this may be useful to others looking to visit around Christmas time!

I recommend going to Winter Wonderland once it's open again in Hyde park on November 20th - www.hydeparkwinterwonderland.com/

I also recommend seeing Elf! The Musical, great for the kiddies - www.theatrebookings.com/london-musicals/elf-the-musical

For Cheap/Free tickets they have a monthly competition I just spotted!
www.theatrebookings.com/free-london-theatre-tickets

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now