Talk

Advanced search

London - docklands/Greenwich area?

(11 Posts)
SKYTVADDICT Fri 14-Aug-15 16:38:04

We have just arrived in London for 2 nights and staying in Beckton as DD2 and friend are going to summer in the city festival tomorrow and Sunday. Have DS1 (8) and DS2 (7) (and dh smile) - any recommendations for cheapish things to do tomorrow?

MrsKitty Fri 14-Aug-15 17:03:55

We've just got back from 5 days staying near the Excel centre (a few stops away from Beckton on the DLR.) Fairly nearby I'd suggest Olympic Park. Alternatively you can get into central London on DLR/Jubilee line from there pretty quickly (40mins max?) Or for an 'interesting transport' day, get the DLR to Royal Victoria, cable cars to North Greenwich and RB1 clipper boat along the Thames (stops at Greenwich, Bank side, Embankment and South bank/London Eye) for a bit of fairly cheap sightseeing.

Greenwich (which is a fair way away from N Greenwich from what I could tell) has the Curry Sark and the Maritime museum, as well as a lovely park but I've not been here for years.

Have fun!

Ahemily Fri 14-Aug-15 17:06:56

Cutty Sark is great, as is the Maritime Museum and the Planetarium.

Greenwich Park is lovely if it's sunny, and the Pavilion tea rooms inside the park do great pizzas.

There's a market in Greenwich with amazing food from around the globe.

Blackheath common is lovely in the sunshine and the Hare & Billett pub has a lovely lunch menu.

I love living here! smile

MrsKitty Fri 14-Aug-15 17:10:45

Just to add, if you choose Olympic park be aware that there's a beach/fairground thing there at the moment which is far from cheap - I spent the best part of £40 on a couple of rides each run by mostly surly operators who clearly didnt want to be there. Elsewhere in the park though are a couple of good playgrounds and nice walks.

florentina1 Fri 14-Aug-15 17:12:02

Cutty Sark is good but will cost about £40 for the 4 of you. Lucky if you get 2 hours out of it.

HarrietVane99 Fri 14-Aug-15 17:21:35

Museum of Docklands, West India Quay on the DLR, is free. They have some children's activities, and they might like some of the exhibits in the main galleries too. It's a fairly short hop across to Greenwich on the DLR from there if you want to do both.
www.museumoflondon.org.uk/docklands/

EmpressKnowsWhereHerTowelIs Fri 14-Aug-15 17:22:10

Another vote for the Maritime Museum. There's the observatory near there too with a great view from the top of the hill.

florentina1 Fri 14-Aug-15 19:37:58

Thames barrier is just down from Greenwich. A boat ride if the weather is ok

FrancesOldhamKelseyRIP Fri 14-Aug-15 19:41:10

I agree that the beach thing is best avoided, just stick to the Tumbling Bay Playground and general sightseeing

SKYTVADDICT Fri 14-Aug-15 19:51:40

Thank you. Think we have a few ideas now smile

Trapper Fri 14-Aug-15 20:03:27

Lots of free stuff at Greenwich including the maritime museum. The woolwich ferry is free and a short bus ride from beckton. Not a day out in itself, but could be incorporated into your outing. There's the museum of childhood by Bethnal Green tube (change at Stratford) which has lots of kids activities.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now