Talk

Advanced search

Bedford

(10 Posts)
DiamondsInTheFlesh Fri 31-Jul-15 20:46:10

Hi I've got to go to Bedford on Wednesday to pick up an eBay purchase & as I have Thursday & Friday off I'm thinking of taking the kids 8&10 with me & staying somewhere/doing something. Any recommendations? I'm coming from Margate

DiamondsInTheFlesh Fri 31-Jul-15 22:15:36

No-one? Any recommendations near Bedford pleeeease

Bunbaker Fri 31-Jul-15 22:16:49

It has got to be Whipsnade Zoo.

claracluck1978 Fri 31-Jul-15 22:22:36

Whipsnade Zoo
Afternoon tea at Luton Hoo
Nice walk down the river and a wander around the shops
Hike the Dunstable Downs or Chilterns
Shuttleworth Collection of old planes is a great visit!
Enjoy, Bedford can be lovely in the sunshine

Whyisitsodifficult Fri 31-Jul-15 22:23:18

Blimey that is a trek! The embankment in Bedford is lovely for a walk, some nice bars and restaurants along there as well. Just outside Bedford in Willington is the Danish Camp where you can hire a boat. Central Milton Keynes has an indoor beach or The Escape with indoor snow dome. Body flight in Bedford has indoor skydiving.

CocktailQueen Fri 31-Jul-15 22:29:42

Priory country park just outside Bedford is lovely, as is the walk along the river in Bedford town centre.

If you want to go further afield, there's Woburn safari park or Whipsnade zoo, Mead open farm, shuttleworth is fab - there's a great play park as well as the Swiss Garden to wander round. The RSPB's headquarters are at Sandy - forest walks etc.

Hth?

Happypiglet Sat 01-Aug-15 08:25:06

Bedford has loads of parks, Bedford Park has a nice cafe, Russel Park near tHe river has a kiosk and putting green as well as new play equipment.
The embankment is lovely to walk along.
There are two swimming pools - Robinson which is a bog standard lengths type pool and Oasis which has flames a wave machine and currents and mine love it!
The Higgins Museum and Castle Hill near the river are worth a visit.
Harold Odell country park is good too. Lake walk and tea rooms bit of a playground times two.
Thurleigh farm is possibly a bit young for yours but they do have quad bikes, pedal go carts, bungee trampolines and soft play. And a few scared looking bunnies etc!
Irchester country park is a bit further to drive but has a high ropes course, woods to run amok in and a quite good playground and excellent cafe.
Stanwick lakes is north of Bedford (prob 30mins) has great play stuff (high) and water /sand play stuff it can get very messy!
If you are going to actually stay in Bedford itself then the other things mentioned are quite a trek.
Shuttle worth is probably nearest and that really is a fab day out. The new park and gardens are great as are the aeroplanes. We did the last summer and mine (10,9,7 at the time) loved it.
Next nearest is Woburn. There is a stately home their too if that is more your bag.
We like Wrest park for walks which is English Heritage.
Whipsnde is good but a trek from Bedford. At least an hour
If you want to trek that sort of distance the other way towards Cambridge then Wimpole Hall is Nataional Trust with a farm, house and grounds or Angelesey Abbey which is mainly grounds and again NT.
I love Bedford!

Happypiglet Sat 01-Aug-15 08:30:38

Oasis has flumes not flames! There is also Gullivers world at Milton Keynes a small theme park with less scarey rides. In fact MiLton Keynes has loads on offer which I won't bore you with!

DiamondsInTheFlesh Sat 01-Aug-15 13:21:48

Thank you so much

NeuNewNouveau Sat 01-Aug-15 13:27:11

I second the oasis pool. My kids love it. It also has a small outside bit which opens on nice weather which the kids love.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now