Talk

Advanced search

help me plan trip to london with DS(5) - never been!

(10 Posts)
omama Thu 30-Jul-15 13:14:45

I've never been to London & have no idea where to start with trip planning so some help/advice would be muchly appreciated.

We'd like to take DS (5) to legoland, the natural history museum and if its possible also see the lion king musical. Maybe fit in a little bit of sightseeing too.

how many days would we need to stay to do all of it? one day at legoland or two? full day for NHM or half day?

A friend suggested we stay at holiday inn express at slough, then get the train - but having looked into it am a bit confused about oyster cards & whether we can use it from slough or not? also how long will the train journeys be, how close to legoland will it get us & which stations do we need to travel to, to access nhm and lyceum theatre.

finally is it a big no-no to take an 8 month old baby in to the theatre (daytime showing)? Am thinking it probably is, but we live 4 hours away so its not something we can just pop & do very easily.

tia

Crutchlow35 Fri 31-Jul-15 11:50:00

I am just back from legoland. I would never do it without qbots unless you are going in term time. School holidays are just too busy. We were there for a half day on Tuesday and managed 2 rides in 5 hours. Got qbots on Wednesday and did the whole park and some rides that DS particularly liked more than once.

omama Fri 31-Jul-15 12:28:41

thanks for the tip. it sounds like 2 days may be better at legoland. we dont have a choice but to come in school hols so will def look into qbots thanks!

Crutchlow35 Fri 31-Jul-15 13:40:59

The way I looked at it was that a friend got corporate rates on tickets for me so I was able to justify the cost of the qbots. Shop around on ticket prices and don't pay full price. Tesco do vouchers as to nectar and there is the Kellogg's voucher as well. Or, if you are doing 2 days they have the return on day 2 for £5 but subject to Terms and conditions. I'd imagine that will be full price day one tickets but still may work out cheaper.

Lovewearingjeans Fri 31-Jul-15 13:50:29

It depends on how much of the NHM you want to see, but you could do a bit of sightseeing on the same day if you are just going to do the dinosaurs. Visiting London is tiring though, so try to think of any sightseeing as a bonus. Hop on hop off buses are expensive, and if you do a bit of research you can get a double decker bus that will take you past some sights. You can use your underground ticket on the bus as well. Other theatre goers will not be impressed by a crying baby in the audience, and if you take the baby out, you won't be allowed back in until the interval. If you can face it, go to Hamleys on Regent street. My two ds love it for the Lego floor alone. A trip on the London Eye is worth doing, and there is a small play park and lots of places to eat in the area too.

DrElizabethPlimpton Fri 31-Jul-15 14:04:24

Have a think about London Zoo - if you approve of zoos. A great place for a 5 year old to let off steam.

The Thames Clipper - can be picked up from the London Eye- is a great way to see London. If you go past the London Barrier they go pretty fast which is fun. You will see loads of sights, even a seasoned London girl like me get impressed by this trip.

A walk along the south bank is interesting too.

Have a good time.

franksidebottom Sat 01-Aug-15 11:37:24

I would say a whole day at the nhm you can also pop next door to the science museum. I love the river cruise, pick up near the London Eye. You get commentary and for an attraction I think good value for money, the Southbank also ace for mooching. Then at least 2 days at legoland to really enjoy it I reckon.

NotCitrus Sat 01-Aug-15 12:42:18

I'd look for deals on Legoland - you can use the free adult vouchers from Kelloggs, then come in the second day for a few quid. So stay nearby, say near Windsor, or their own hotel. Be warned that traffic leaving Legoland is pure hell - can take an hour to leave the car park, by car or bus - so staying onsite may be an idea. Or go on an Inset day.
Take swimming stuff for the splash areas.

Personally would avoid Legoland and hit the NHM, Science Museum, stroll through Soho/Chinatown to the South Bank, St James Park, maybe the DLR. Loads to fill 2 days to a week. Would you be able to do a long day trip or would you have to stay over?

NotCitrus Sat 01-Aug-15 12:44:11

The Lion King like most theatres doesn't let under-3s in, and recommends the show for 6 and over. Once I saw the prices I decided ds wasn't going until he begs!

omama Sat 01-Aug-15 16:22:21

with my sensible head on I know we have to leave the theatre for another trip without dd. sad

not citrus we're 4 hours away by car so would definitely need to stay somewhere nearby. will take a look at the windsor area.

we have just been given a free adult entry ticket to legoland so will look at that or see if cheaper to book to stay aswell.

sorry cant remember who mentioned hamleys but thankyou - ds would LOVE it!!!

thanks for the other sightseeing tips too, boat trip sounds a great idea.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now