Talk

Advanced search

Fossil hunting at Charmouth

(16 Posts)
PlayingHouse Sun 05-Jul-15 14:49:59

Going on holiday to Weymouth.

Want to book fossil hunting at Charmouth.

One of us will have to stay with the baby while the other one takes DD1 and DD2 fossil hunting.

Would it be best to stay behind, or go with them? Is there a beach to sit on and wait?

Does anyone know how long the fossil hunting goes on for?

Is parking easy?

SueDunome Sun 05-Jul-15 14:55:58

There's a lovely beach at shingle Charmouth, with a cafe / beach shop. Parking is close by. I can't comment on booked fossil hunting - never done it, you don't need to do this - just plod around the rockier areas and see what you find

SueDunome Sun 05-Jul-15 14:57:33

Sorry, I added the word shingle in the wrong place, the beach is shingle, not the whole of Charmouth grin

PlayingHouse Sun 05-Jul-15 15:07:21

Thanks sue

Do you know how much the parking is?

Merrylegs Sun 05-Jul-15 15:18:20

My DSs did a booked fossil hunt at Charmouth when younger, so a few years ago. They were gone for aaages and walked/scrambled a long long way so not sure how baby friendly it would be TBH I was glad I didn't go as I think I would have been a bit helicoptery oh this is far too far to walk etc. They loved it though and came back with shed loads of fossils.

PlayingHouse Sun 05-Jul-15 16:22:24

The guide says 2 hours merry

I think either dh or I will take the baby swimming in the pool while the other takes them fossil hunting

TealFanClub Sun 05-Jul-15 16:31:12

i went once. GOD ITS BORING

PlayingHouse Sun 05-Jul-15 17:05:18

Did your DC enjoy it though tealfanclub?

meglet Sun 05-Jul-15 17:13:58

we went last Oct. it's quite a long afernoon iirc. 30 mins in the visitor centre then toilet stop and off down the end of the beach to look for fossils.

you could stay on the beach near the centre. I'm sure there's a small cafe..

TealFanClub Sun 05-Jul-15 17:19:59

I dont think they were bothered Have never mentioned it ever again

Its just walking around looking at stones as far as I can remember

meglet Sun 05-Jul-15 17:31:30

we went home with a bag of fossils. everyone did.

We want to go back and look for an icthyosaurus spine disc. They slide down the cliff in mud every so often.

LumpySpacedPrincess Sun 05-Jul-15 19:25:31

We love doing this, never booked though we just go for a wander. We've found tons over the years.

PlayingHouse Mon 06-Jul-15 13:20:46

Maybe a wander would be better for us

LumpySpacedPrincess Mon 06-Jul-15 20:12:38

Check out the tides before you go. We normally walk out at high tide and back at low.

CharlesRyder Mon 06-Jul-15 20:21:03

Carpark is £2.50 for the full day- full day the only option, no hourly rates.

I don't really think you need to go on a tour- if you just walk down the beach at low tide you will see them in the sand. You really don't need to take hammers/ goggles and start bashing at stuff. At low tide there are also great rock pools. The beach is fine to hang out on with a baby while someone wanders about fossil hunting with other DC.

Do NOT walk or sit at the base of the cliffs and do NOT let DC climb about in the cliffs, however tempting and however many other people are doing it. Rock falls happen with no warning at all and you would not have time to move out of the way. You can't really appreciate how dangerous being at the base of the cliff is until you have seen a rock fall- we have seen two big ones and only lived here a year!

Heels99 Tue 07-Jul-15 09:18:41

It's brilliant! Definitely do it! We didn't do a tour we just got the hammers and goggles and off we went, found loads of fossils. Go in the visitor centre first so you know what you are looking for.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now