Talk

Advanced search

London's arty places

(15 Posts)
nada29 Sun 05-Jul-15 14:15:43

My niece who is 16 is coming for a visit from abroad for the first time.
She is interested in art and I'd like to take her to an arty cafe or any unusual cafe / restaurant that would appeal to her unconventional personality. She has already planned museums and galleries that she wants to see. Would be grateful for your ideas. Thanks a lot.

nancy75 Sun 05-Jul-15 15:03:35

How about brick lane/ spiral fields market on a Sunday? Or Camden?

nada29 Sun 05-Jul-15 18:27:39

Will check those definitely. Thanks.

mrsmortis Mon 06-Jul-15 16:20:47

I like the cafe in the Tate modern.

Or afternoon tea at Liberty's?

ChrisQuean Mon 06-Jul-15 16:29:40

London is awash with galleries, and there are big names like the National Gallery (I far preferNationsl Portrait Gallery - a smaller gem) but she might like some "in the know" Londoner places? Unusual arty places include:

A walk around Shoreditch to look at the street art with an organic artisan coffee at trendy hipster hangout (beards and iPad required). There's a particularly good concentration of street art in the streets around Redchurch Street and Rivington Street. Walk from there to White Cube on Hoxton Square.

Antique and curiosity art from a single collector, try John Soane's house on Lincoln's Inn Fields. You'll need to book tickets.

An eclectic mix of art and antiques at for a beautiful experience and lovely sit down lunch try the Wallace Collection on Manchester square . Much more grown up than Shoreditch and not on the usual tourist trail.

MonstrousRatbag Mon 06-Jul-15 16:36:45

Something a bit different: at the moment Strawberry Hill House has a sculpture exhibition on that is great-Gothic and spooky. The house is lovely anyway and the cafe is good. On a sunny day, do the house and shop then get a table in the garden, it's lovely.

fridayfreedom Mon 06-Jul-15 16:37:10

If she likes textiles, try the textile museum. Also the design museum often has good exhibitions.
we visited the V&A for the Alexander McQueen exhibition last week which was absolutely amazing. Quite macabre at times but really showed his influences and was brilliantly displayed. You need to book ahead.
also went to the Sactchi galley ( spelling??), have been before but current exhibition was quite frankly rubbish!
oh, and the cafe at the V&A is pricey but has amaxing art deco type ceilings and rooms so is well worth a visit.

HaleMary Mon 06-Jul-15 16:41:33

You could take her around Cork St and Dover St to the commercial galleries there?

FrankietheSquealer Mon 06-Jul-15 16:42:17

i find Brick Lane just a bit tatty and crap.

dinkystinky Mon 06-Jul-15 16:48:57

V&A is fab -there's also the design museum and the brand museum which are interesting for a wander round.

You can do a street art guided tour around Shoreditch - my friends went with their teenagers and really enjoyed it

OneThenTwo Tue 07-Jul-15 13:55:02

If it's this coming weekend try www.urbanart.co.uk in Brixton & Brixton Village is full of amazing eclectic cafes that any visiting teenager will love.

plantsitter Tue 07-Jul-15 14:01:30

Yes to the v& a cafe, or this afternoon tea bus looks ace www.bbbakery.co.uk/afternoon-tea/afternoon-tea-bus-tour/ (but books up quickly).

bialystockandbloom Tue 07-Jul-15 14:08:29

The Leighton Museum is beautiful (though I don't think it's got a cafe). From there you could just about walk or take a bus to Sloane Sq to the Saatchi gallery too, for more contemporary stuff, and cafe there plus loads around there.

FrankietheSquealer Tue 07-Jul-15 16:58:51

funny - having a convo at work abotu the V and A. Everyone said the McQueen thing aside its not a good visitor experience

nada29 Mon 20-Jul-15 12:23:32

Thank you all for your ideas! We will explore many of them. Thanks again.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now