Talk

Advanced search

Stop-Over to Cornwall

(7 Posts)
mum2chalkandcheese Mon 18-May-15 22:31:48

I'm looking for suggestions for somewhere we can stop-off on our way down to Cornwall in July. We're travelling from Cheshire (planning on stopping overnight) so somewhere along the m5 would be good. So far I've looked at Exeter and Bristol but have no experience of that part of the UK so any advice would be great. Really just want somewhere to spend a Sunday afternoon and night with an 8yr old and 6yr old. Not looking for masses to do but thought it might be an opportunity to stop somewhere interesting.

Thanks all!

Chchchchanging Mon 18-May-15 22:34:13

Bath

leccybill Mon 18-May-15 22:34:30

We did this recently and stopped over in Cheltenham (at the Thistle Hotel). It's a lovely regency town, lots of nice shops, places to eat and parks in the centre. We went to TGIs for dinner which our 5yo enjoyed.

Purpleball Mon 18-May-15 22:35:57

Cadbury House outside Bristol is a good stopover. It's a Hilton doubletree I think.

Depends how much you want to spend holiday inn express Gloucester South is usually very cheap

holdingontight Mon 18-May-15 22:40:40

There is a travelodge at Exeter by the station, easy to get to from M4. Parking is opposite and it's only 10-15 mins walk to town. Bills for dinner is great and v family friendly. More to do in town than the motorway one. I'd stay at Exeter rather than Bristol -- you've still got a couple of hours and there is quite a lot to do. Roman tunnels are great if weather a bit rubbish.

There is a fab pub with a family room at cullompton, just past Exeter on the a30. Really lovely owners. Great grub and if you like walking it's a beautiful spot.

Lifton near Launceston has an amazing farm shop. They have strawberry fields and quite honestly I think it is the best cream tea in the county. Lovely outside space with swings, ride on diggers etc. might be a better stop on your way home though!

Where are you staying? Hope you have a lovely time!

HemanOrSheRa Mon 18-May-15 22:47:06

What date in July? The Bristol Harbour Festival is running from the 17 - 19 July this year.

catslife Tue 19-May-15 08:57:49

If your dcs are Shaun the sheep fans - there is a trail of statues in various venues across Bristol during July.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now