Talk

Advanced search

Something to do in Southampton / Winchester area on Sat 13th December?

(18 Posts)
MATB1 Sun 30-Nov-14 21:06:50

We're taking DD to Peppa Pig World on Friday 12th December and staying for two nights, probably at the Novotel in Southampton.

I'm not familiar with the area at all so am looking for some suggestions of things to do or places to go on that Saturday.

It will be me, DH and 2 DDs aged 3yo and 5m.

Thanks!!

chicaguapa Sun 30-Nov-14 21:13:05

There's the Christmas market in Winchester, plus the City Museum near the Cathedral which is free entry and has a treasure hunt for DC. It's been a while since my DC were 3 so I'm not sure if it's suitable for them.

PigeonPie Sun 30-Nov-14 21:14:06

The Watercress line in Alresford might be steaming on the 13th - but if it is you'd probably need to book.

batmanandrobin Sun 30-Nov-14 21:21:18

Marwell zoo is nearby and have a lovely santa a grotto if you wanted to do something Christmassy. or winchester have an outdoor ice skating rink and a lovely market. there's also a christmas market in southampton city centre.

if you wanted something less full on nearby peppa pig world there is a swimming baths called romsey rapids. has a flume, rapids and little fountains and a pirate ship.

MATB1 Sun 30-Nov-14 21:23:58

Great, thanks for the quick replies!

Sleepingtom Sun 30-Nov-14 21:28:46

Royal Victoria Park have a Christmas Tree Festival on that weekend with ice skating/music/Father Christmas.

Winchester will be absolutely rammed unless you get there very early, still nice but maybe not great in the market with a buggy and traffic/parking tricky, think the park and ride would be ok though.

MATB1 Sun 30-Nov-14 21:44:52

Ok thanks for the heads up.

Just looking at hotels now....

Sleepingtom Sun 30-Nov-14 21:46:48

Also Hilliers Gardens near Romsey are doing a grand bauble hunt. I agree re Winchester!

NoelleHawthorne Sun 30-Nov-14 21:50:38

www.watercressline.co.uk/product.php/40/santa-special

Sleepingtom Sun 30-Nov-14 21:53:01

Sorry to drip feed but also... Mottisfont near Romsey have a nutcracker themed Christmas thing on which looks very lovely.

Thank you - had you not posted I might not have looked that one up!

chicaguapa Sun 30-Nov-14 22:03:07

Royal Victoria Park is a good idea. It's a lovely place to visit, and they have a narrow gauge steam train and a nice little park too. As well as the Christmas events.

CrystalTits Sun 30-Nov-14 22:12:40

Longdown Activity Farm at Ashurst (lovely Santa grotto in the barn) and/or the Otter & Owl Sanctuary 1/2 mile down the road from Longdown would be ideal for the age of your DC. Steer well clear of Southampton city centre, traffic is a nightmare at peak shopping times.

MATB1 Sun 30-Nov-14 22:37:57

Thanks all, this is great, really helpful!

I think we're going to stay at the Novotel in Southampton by the looks of things....

batmanandrobin Mon 01-Dec-14 22:51:30

why do you need to stay in the city centre? peppa pig world isn't nearby and there's a hotel right by the theme park. it's a premier inn and is attatched to a pub called the Vine Inn which has a ball park smile

fridayfreedom Mon 01-Dec-14 22:56:55

Went to Winchester on Saturday it was heaving, so if you have a buggy it would be difficult.
Royal Victoria Country Park is good if the weathers fine . Or head into the NewForest, nice walks and villages.

Demonchops Mon 01-Dec-14 23:04:40

Lots to do in new forest and less busy than winchester which will indeed be rammed with Xmas market peeps... I did I years back with 2 of my dc when in prams and regretted it, we couldn't move around the market at all....

StardustBikini Mon 01-Dec-14 23:09:32

What about a day trip "overseas"?

www.redfunnel.co.uk/island-guide/isle-of-wight-events/isle-of-wight-events-july-to-september/cowes-food-show/

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now